Stabilizer & Drop Away Rest?

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
Any suggestions on what you think is the best or your favorite stabilizer for a hunting bow?

I saw one with a weight at the very tip, not sure of the name, thought that looked nice and made sense for stabilizing, but open to ideas/suggestions, my current one is a NAP shockblocker, with the rubber ends to help dampen vibration etc...? although My matthews bow already has those rubber dampers, so think a more solid stabilizer might make more sense?

Also what's the deal with drop away rests? Not sure I want one, but the QAD looks nice.
I use a NAP quick tune.

Are they louder?

Thanks in advance!

archer8524

Aug 31, 2011
Bee stinger makes a stabilizer like you described. I use the 10 inch on my bow and I am very happy with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Work2hunt

Veteran member
Mar 2, 2013
St. Louis, MO
+1 on the Bee Stinger rest. I use the Bee Stinger Sport Hunter with 3 weights on the end. A stabilizer is nice to help dampen hand shock or vibration, but you are really using it to "stabilize" the bow. Ideally with a stabilizer on the bow you should notice it "sit" a little better in your outstretched hand and as you are holding it and it shouldn't float as much in that outstretched hand. After the shot, the stabilizer will probably help gently rock the bow forward vs without my bows fall backward.

As for the drop away rest. I love mine. I've shot both the QAD and the Ripcord Red. I like both but I like my Ripcord a little better that I am shooting now. I definetly would not say they are loud. If set-up properly they won't make contact with the arrow after the shot and mine don't hit the riser hard enough on the fall to make any noise either. I made the switch from a NAP quick tune 3 years ago. I wish I would have changed a little sooner. I immediately noticed a slight improvement on my shots.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
The stabilizer is more for, well, stabilization. Todays bows are already "quiet" equiped. Find one that helps stabilize your long range shots. This starts to become important, for most people, at 40+ yds. Length is more important than the weight. The balance of the weight away from the bow is what will assist your form, thus it will feel like more the further a lighter weight is away from the riser.

The QAD is a very good rest. I like it over the rip cord simpley because you can let down easy and the rest stays up so you are ready to go without resetting the rest, reshelfing the arrow, or making arrow contact noise. Not sure why ripcord has not upgraded yet. (unless they have recently and I've missed it). Makes no sense to me why they would not want to improve their product...
Both are great, just the QAD has the added bonus feature, which i find to be very important. IMHO

Cobbhunts

Veteran member
Jan 22, 2014
Kentucky
I really like my QAD Ultra HD. And the best stab I have ever owned is a Stokerized SS1, but there may be better stabs on the market these days. I have never wanted another so I haven't looked. It balances my bow perfectly, and off sets the weight of the quiver by design.

dhershberger

Jul 28, 2011
NM
I love my B-stinger pro hunter 8.5" with 8 oz weight! It really helps to hold steady at those longer distances. I got mine for $30 on camofire!!! I also shoot the trophy taker xtreme sl rest (the affordable one) and love it. It is much lighter because it is plastic and plenty durable for mountain hunting. You can pick it up for about $40 or so

velvetfvr

Veteran member
May 6, 2012
Nv
My favorite stabs are the carbon blades, bstinger sport hunter xtremes and doinkers. For rest I love my pro v but can't go wrong with NAP, QAD, or trophy taker

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
If I buy a bee stinger, do I have to use ALL of the weights? or can I just use what I select?

velvetfvr

Veteran member
May 6, 2012
Nv
If I buy a bee stinger, do I have to use ALL of the weights? or can I just use what I select?
You can take the weights off they have or you can buy more and load it up. The screw that you tighten the weights on can lengthen for more weights or go in to hold a weight or 2.

goinhuntn

Aug 4, 2012
I use trophy ridge stactic 6" with both weights & ripcord red dropaway on my hoyt faktor, setup works great for me.

sodaksooner

Jul 7, 2014
get a tightspot quiver and dont wory about using a stab...
Newb here on this forum. I have both.....lol. I couldn't shoot with just the tight spot. Sits too far back, although with an 8" back bar, a 10" bee stinger" out front and the tight spot, it holds rock solid.

20140629_resized.jpg

JKRbowhunter

Sep 13, 2014
Michigan
I would definitely go with a qad. The rest will stay up when you let down your bow vs. The Ripcord which goes back down and you'll have to reset. The qad only drops if you shoot or manually reset it.

wapiti66

Aug 21, 2011
Kansas
I'm using the Ripcord Red and an 8" Sport Hunter Extreme BeeStinger on my setup. Works great for me. The launcher dropping if I let down is not an issue for me, but obviously it is for some....that's gonna be a personal thing. Yes....Camofire has the BeeStinger stabs right now for $40 something I think, they brought them up about a week after I paid the full $80 for mine.

squirrelduster

Apr 26, 2011
Sebastopol, Ca
As other people have said before most bows have vibration dampening built in so the stabalizer is for balance for the most part. If you go to a decent bow shop they will let you try stabilizers before you buy them so try different lengths and add or reduce weight until you get what feels good to you. Keeping the quiver on the bow adds weight and helps balance the bow. If you shoot with the quiver on and loaded with arrows make sure you use your hunting configuration when trying the stabalizers.
Drop away performance between the QAD and the Ripcord is very similar, the biggest difference is if you let down the Ripcord lets the arrow fall down, the QAD does not. I spooked hogs on a couple occasions with the falling arrow so I only shoot QAD.

Dearhunter3450

Feb 13, 2014
Upstate New York
I would definitely go with a qad. The rest will stay up when you let down your bow vs. The Ripcord which goes back down and you'll have to reset. The qad only drops if you shoot or manually reset it.
I use the Quad as well and it is better for the reason JKR stated IMO. Total arrow containment and when you let down from full draw no resetting

BobT

Dec 1, 2011
Missouri Ozarks
I use a rubber Trophy Ridge stabilizer similar to the Limbsaver. I was shooting without a stab but had a tiny bit of vibration at the shot, now my bow is dead in the hand. Due to shoulder problems, weight is an issue for me so I needed to keep things as light as possible.

For a rest I use the Ripcord Code Red, the letdown issue has not been a problem for me at all and if you use the rubber "bumper" that comes with it there should not be a problem with noise. If it is adjusted correctly you don't really have to cock the Ripcord if you don't want to, it will raise up like the early drop away rests. I looked hard at the QAD also and it is a very good rest IMHO but if you shoot a fast bow there can be some issues with the cheaper QAD Ultra so you might want to go with the HDX.

Bob