Spring Goose Hunt

Montana

Veteran member
Nov 3, 2011
Bitterroot Valley, MT.
Anyone ever do a spring goose hunt to mix it up a little? We are thinking about booking a hunt a year from now and I wanted to see if there were any recommendations.

Thanks.

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
I had a few buddies come up and hunt my farm 2 weeks ago. I was able to kill 6 snows, and re-affirm my hatred for goose hunting.. A win-win really!

Actually, spring goose hunts are really fun, we couldn't shoo the mallards and pintails out of our set, we could have easily shot 100's. Do you get a big migration through Montana? They come back through Missouri by the millions.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I've done several, a couple in Texas and one in eastern Colorado. Results were mixed at best. The main problem is that these birds have been called to, decoyed and shot at for around 6 months and are very smart. Most of the juveniles have been shot and almost all that left is adult birds. The guides had anywhere from 500 to 2000 decoys out and lots of times the birds still would not work.

I get to hunt lots of honkers are here and just won't spend my time and $$$$ on spring snows anymore. I go to Texas and hunt hogs and gobblers in the spring instead.

Montana

Veteran member
Nov 3, 2011
Bitterroot Valley, MT.
I had a few buddies come up and hunt my farm 2 weeks ago. I was able to kill 6 snows, and re-affirm my hatred for goose hunting.. A win-win really!

Actually, spring goose hunts are really fun, we couldn't shoo the mallards and pintails out of our set, we could have easily shot 100's. Do you get a big migration through Montana? They come back through Missouri by the millions.
They dont really come back north through Montana to my knowledge.. I think they are a bit east. South Dakota has some pretty big hunts. Do they hit your farm pretty heavy? I'm feeling a hunt swap :) Through my research it seems that Missouri is indeed a heavy hitter.

CC... Thanks for the tip. I have heard it can be a real gamble. Did you ever knock'm dead?

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
They hit it hard enough that we can't plant wheat because the geese eat it all. The biggest problem is that it's only 175 acres, so the geese can be there and gone in a few days. I'm relatively new to that area, once I lock down permission on all the farms around me, it may be hunt swap time!

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
CC... Thanks for the tip. I have heard it can be a real gamble. Did you ever knock'm dead?
First time I hunted spring snow in Dalhart, Texas. We shot about 100 birds in 3 days. The rest of the time was lots of birds in the air, but wouldn't decoy very well. Lucky to get 8 or 10 birds.

Montana

Veteran member
Nov 3, 2011
Bitterroot Valley, MT.
They hit it hard enough that we can't plant wheat because the geese eat it all. The biggest problem is that it's only 175 acres, so the geese can be there and gone in a few days. I'm relatively new to that area, once I lock down permission on all the farms around me, it may be hunt swap time!
:) Just let me know :)

tdcour

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2013
Central Kansas
South Dakota has a TON of snows flying through right now. I'm not sure about guides though... not a big bird hunter, but it would be something to check into. I may be able to dig some info up on some guides from some buddies if anyone wants to know I can sure try, just let me know.

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
If I were to book a hunt, it would be with habitat flats. Those guys have built up an excellent operation, and are incredibly knowledgeable. They control ground all throughout what we call 'the golden triangle'. It is the epicenter for migrating fowl in Missouri.

http://www.habitatflats.com/