Spottng Scope to Phone Adapters

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Ok, so here is my problem.

I picked up a Vortex Razor 20-60x85HD spotter last fall and now I want to hook my Samsung J7 phone to it. The only problem is that Phonescope does not make a holder for the phone and I am wondering what I really need to get.

I see that they have a universal adapter but do I need a universal one for the spotter? They make a adapter for the spotter but no holder for the phone. Do universal phone holders work with the standard spotting scope adapter or what?

Anyone else run into this problem yet?

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Jim I went to a Novagrade universal. Too many different phones and spotters in the family. Fits any phone any optical device. I have the single gripper and use a Note9.

20190622_185237.jpg

Novagrade.com

Last edited:

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I looked at that company, and it is a little bit more than I really want to spend just for a adapter.

jerm8352

Jul 24, 2013
Finally got out and used it. It is finicky and not easy to focus. I was only using it with the spotter attached the window of the truck so that may have added to the problems.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I ended up going with the PhoneSkope universal phone mount to hold the phone. It has a spring loaded part that will clamp onto most phones out there and is actually quite strong. For the Vortex Razor I got their actual adapter for the eyepiece. Everything fits very nice, now I just need to get out and take some pictures with it.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I played around with it in my backyard and took a few pictures, there is definitely a learning curve using it. My problem is that 99% of the time I just leave my phone in the truck because of no cell coverage where I usually go to look at animals. So that might need to change.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Jim I’m in the market and was curious if you had time to play with your new phone scope device and what your final thoughts are?
So it appears that I would need to buy the phone scope and then a vortex scope adapter? I wonder if this is the same with the option that slugs mention novagrade.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I have played with it some but not that much, just haven't had the time.

I got the universal mount from Phone Scope for my phone. One problem that I have with it is that I have a case on my phone and need to remove it from the case to use it. This isn't much of a problem since I can pop my phone in and out of the case in a matter of seconds. The universal mount holds your phone with spring tension on the jaws and it is fairly sturdy once it is mounted. I also got the scope adapter from them and it fits nice and tight. One problem that I read about is that if you have your scope eyepiece screwed out that the weight of the phone in a horizontal position might cause the eyepiece to rotate moving the phone from horizontal to a angle once it stops moving. You can solve this by just screwing in the scopes eyepiece. This could be a problem with all of them since all the weight of the phone is on the scope mount.

Here is the phone case that I got plus the spotting scope adapter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bonecollector

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
I have the Gosky adapter jerm mentioned above. Personally I don't love it and tend not to bring it. It's probably just my low-end scope but I find it's really fussy to get aligned perfectly in the center, and if I don't, you can't see much on the phone screen. It could be my phone - I have a Pixel 2 which has the camera in the corner, not in the center like some do. It didn't quite have enough adjustment range to feel like a solid mount/fit on my scope.

I suspect these phone mounts would be a lot better if you had a phone specially set up for it. What I mean is, buy some cheap used Galaxy S6 or S7 that has the camera right in the middle of the back of the phone, and leave the adapter mounted to it all the time. You don't need phone service for this and it would probably be a much better setup.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Thanks Taskswap. Reviews on your model were mediocre at best. Price was nice but I think we know why. lol
Thanks for your feedback.