Speedgoat hits the ground! My Son's first!

Stringmusic

Feb 23, 2011
Big Sky Country, MT
My Son's First Kill!

After spending two days prior to opening day sitting in the shade of the car watching many antelope in the area, we decided to try out this one water hole on opening day. This is my son's first year hunting and I wanted him to get a higher percentage opportunity at a antelope so we picked sitting on water. We were hunting Block Management Area and State land for this hunt. The first day produced little excitment besides being forced to pack up and head back to the truck in the afternoon. The weather was blowing and lighting was hitting everywhere. After the storm passed it left us about an hour of light left. We decided to just watch the water hole, and of course every antelope in that section was taking a drink. We knew where we needed to be the next morning.

When I stepped out of the camper the next morning, the clouds were gone, and the wind had stopped. I knew it was going to be a hot day. We had our first action around 8:00 a.m. with a wild little fawn making a dead run at our set-up. The fawn stopped about 100 yards out and then spotted a larger group of antelope and took off. We were back to more waiting.

It didn't take long before I looked up and noticed three does looking just over the rise. I told my son to move slowly and grab his bow. The group of antelope did not pay any attention to us coming in. With the lead doe getting a little nervous more near the tank, I told my son to just let her take a drink before shooting. This would calm the others for a better shot.

I checked one more time to see if a buck was following them. Not seeing one, I told my son that he should take a doe right now. The lead doe finished drinking and turned away from the tank and stopped. Quartering away at 27 yards. My son drew back, I checked the video camera, and before I said go ahead and shoot, the arrow was alread in the air. All I heard was a tump! The group ran a short distance up the trail and they all stopped. My son is telling me he got her, but I can't tell which one was shot. I could not see any blood. When he told me which one was hit I zoomed in with the camera to see a small circle of blood on the oppisite shoulder of the doe. The doe went 80 yards and fell over all on camera. My son's first hunt, first arrow, and his first Montana tagged is punched. All the practice shooting over the summer had paid off. He made a perfect shot!

Mission (Mathews) Maniac 38 lbs
Victory Arrows 25"
Simmons Sharks Broadheads 100 gr
Black Gold Rush 5 pin

Copy of Ryans Antelope Hunt 040.jpg
He wanted to go check her out by himself.
Copy of Ryans Antelope Hunt 029.jpg
Sharks won the battle
1328.jpg
Punching his first tag
1335.jpg

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
This is, by far, my favorite thread to date on the Eastman's forum. That "punching the tag" pic just about brings a tear to the eye.

Well done!

Thank you for posting this.

Elkcrazedfrk

Feb 21, 2011
Very cool..I bet your son is still on cloud 9..Never miss an opportunity to take a kid hunting. It will make your day and most certanly theirs!! Good job!

IL Hntr

Feb 26, 2011
Southern Illinois
That is fantastic!! That is one neither of you will ever forget. Way to get him involved and doing things the right way. Tell your son I said congrats on a great start to his bow hunting career.