South African transplant to Idaho

Potato Archer

Jan 7, 2022
Ketchum, ID
Hey guys,

After many years of trying my wife and I just moved to the US from South Africa, I grew up rifle hunting in South Africa as well as doing competitive sport shooting since a very young age.

I started recurve archery when we started our immigration process as a way to teach myself archery with the idea to eventually do compound bow hunting once we're established in ID. I come from a world of deer hunting in SA, and doing the entire butchery process as well, using all the parts of the animal as a means of meat in the house.

However I have no frame of reference when it comes to hunting in the US, and more-so bow-hunting. I've asked around town (Ketchum) but there doesn't seem to be a hunting community here that I've been able to find. I'm looking to meet up with like minded people to learn from, I have a production company so will gladly come out with my camera and document the trip from a photography perspective as a means of returning the favor for letting me come along and learn.

Below my wife and I on a recent Kudu hunt in South Africa,

a863ee92-ba5e-48c5-9c5b-57c3f6e9fd45.jpg

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Welcome to the US.

I'm getting ready to head over to South Africa for the second time for a hunt just north of Port Elizabeth.

On the hunting community, check out archery and or gun shops in your are. I'm not familiar with what is in Ketchum but I am sure that there may be a archery club in the area or at least a gun club.

To get acquainted with hunting in Idaho check out the Idaho Game and Fish web site.

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

Micah S

Jan 11, 2016
Sandy Oregon
I've hunted around that area quite a few times. It's a great area to spend time outdoors in. Send me a message and I'll share some info.

dirtclod Az.

Veteran member
Jan 26, 2018
Arizona
Welcome from sunny Az.
Great Deer, Antelope, and Elk hunting here.
Start putting in for tags now so you can hunt before you grow old.! lol! 💥