Something more to ponder during application periods

coloradoshedhead

Jul 9, 2014
Colorado
It was half a step in the right direction by trying to have the draw after tag quotas are set, but now they will be holding our tag fees for 3 1/2+ months? Three steps back with that brain dead decision. How do they justify holding that much money for that long? Seems like there are alternative motives with this one.

Reactions: Ikeepitcold

Big Chief J

Feb 25, 2016
Texas
Apparently the money due early was to make the outfitters happy. I assume drawing NR elk before antelope and deer application deadlines was to benefit the NR.

Maxhunter

Veteran member
Apr 10, 2011
Wyoming
It was mainly because NR were complaining the WY G&F wasn't allocating enough tags. The dept sets tag numbers in May after the winter. I know a lot folks liked the early draw. It actually benefited them so they could apply in other states.

Reactions: Bonecollector

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
lol. it's all about the benjamins. don't like it ?? just do what I do and stay away from Wyoming. they ain't got nuthin I need.

I suspect most will keep paying to play.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
It's annoying but I do think it will keep a few more people out of the draw as they don't want to take a chance at drawing multiple states in the same year. There are ways around that but it will be a little work... draw premium unit in another state, switch wyo app to area 100.

Big Chief J

Feb 25, 2016
Texas
It might help a little bit with the elk odds, but not enough to really matter. I do remember back when NR antelope and deer were due in March. I think that used to help our odds too.

Oh well, I guess Wyoming will have my elk and moose money for a long time. I figure they owe me both tags this year! :)

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Only thing for me it was nice to get the results out fast to be able to plan other hunts. I’ll still be in the draw this year.

jtm307

Jan 12, 2016
Wyoming
Non-residents will now get all of the tags they are entitled to. Before, there were elk tags that should have gone to NR's but didn't.

Reactions: Hilltop

DRUSS

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2014
nw oregon
I am not sure how to feel on this? keep $$ longer and later results, hmmm. I think point creep will increase as more will build points until they can confirm the year that they can draw a tag. if later results I would just prefer a later application deadline. that's just my opinion.

Reactions: Bonecollector

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
They are not doing anything different that Colorado and Utah are doing. Except that those states are now post pay but you still don't know if you have drawn until the end of May or into June.

You can also do like a lot do. Put in for a lot of states and animals and then after the draws and if you are lucky weed through and pick your best hunt and turn the others back in.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
They are not doing anything different that Colorado and Utah are doing. Except that those states are now post pay but you still don't know if you have drawn until the end of May or into June.

You can also do like a lot do. Put in for a lot of states and animals and then after the draws and if you are lucky weed through and pick your best hunt and turn the others back in.
This is true but it comes at a price $ as well as season dates when putting in for vacation allotments at work. Like everything else, we'll have to evolve.

Reactions: Prerylyon

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I forgot that people actually work that are members on the forum here. (y)

Back in my working days I would make a decision on where I wanted to hunt in November the year prior, this is when the vacation scheduled would make it's rounds. I would then put in for the hunts that I wanted to go one along with a few dream hunts. Now if one of those dream hunts would pop up then I would have to do some begging or deals to get that time off. But still I had to put in for those hunts early in the year and didn't know what I drew until the end of May or the middle of June.

I have never had to turn a tag back in because of no time off. I have had to do some scrambling to figure out what I was going to do. 3 days here or perhaps 4 days over the weekends. I hated 9 day hunts since that only gave me 2 weekends to get it done but I managed and so will others with these new rule changes.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
It does make it a little bit more problematic when you are talking about folks that have a day or two or more drive to get out west here.

I know that on most of my out of state hunts I figure in at least driving time plus a day if I can. Even on my hunts in Arizona I try to get there a full day before the hunts start and that is with me knowing the area that I am hunting where I could actually just show up opening morning to hunt. But if I did that the 15 hour drive and then having to hunt the same day would be a killer.

Shooter

Feb 22, 2011
Washington
I think it will help draw odds for elk. There will be a lot of guys/family's that don't apply because they don't want to wait 3.5 months for a refund. And also I know a lot of guys that were applying for elk tags that didn't really want them but if they drew the results were so early that they could plan other hunts around an elk hunt if they drew.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I think it will help draw odds for elk. There will be a lot of guys/family's that don't apply because they don't want to wait 3.5 months for a refund. And also I know a lot of guys that were applying for elk tags that didn't really want them but if they drew the results were so early that they could plan other hunts around an elk hunt if they drew.
You may be right about some but I'm guessing the change to most area will be very minimal. The biggest potential change will be to the general tag odds imo. And I bet that doesn't change much because Wyoming is The destination for a lot of hunters. I just don't know that many people, other than on here, that play the multi state game with applications.

Reactions: DRUSS

Shooter

Feb 22, 2011
Washington
You may be right about some but I'm guessing the change to most area will be very minimal. The biggest potential change will be to the general tag odds imo. And I bet that doesn't change much because Wyoming is The destination for a lot of hunters. I just don't know that many people, other than on here, that play the multi state game with applications.
I don't think draw odds are going to improve by huge percent's but I do think they will be slightly better. I know a guy that applies himself and 3 sons for elk tags just about every year. And when he found out that he was going to have a $3k dollar balance on his CC for 5ish months he said he would only be applying his kids for pts until they could afford to pay for themselves.

I have two other buddy's that said they were done apply for units that they didn't think they had a 100% chance of drawing because they needed to how they are going to use there vacation time.

Then you have the guys that draw in other states that end up changing or withdrawing their application.

All these things should lead to improved odds. Even if it's just a slight improvement.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
It just goes to show that if you can't afford to put in for the draw then don't.

Colorado required the money up front for many years with the application period being around the first of April. Then the draw wasn't until June so it was close to 2 1/2 months of having the money tied up at the DOW.. But that was only if you waited until the very last minute to put in. For some it could of been as long as 4 1/2 months.