So I watched a you tube video the other night.......

Kevin W

Jan 26, 2013
So I watched a you tube video the other night and the hunter was in Wyoming. While standing on a ridge line he made mention in order to be able to shoot the game he was after the game animal needed to be on the other side of the creek. As that was the unit boundary to which his license was good for. It seems odd to me that the hunter does not need to be in the unit their license is good for while in the act of shooting.
I asked a question in the chat about this and the hunter said what he was doing is legal in Wyoming.
What say you guys?

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I would say that technically he was hunting in the wrong unit even if he shot the animal in the correct unit.

A link to the video would be nice

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Maybe he wasn't going to shoot from the ridgeline?

Maybe he was just glassing from there and was planning on moving around to take the shot from the correct unit? I presume a lot of people glass across unit boundaries for vantage purposes.

Hunter and the game BOTH need to be in the same unit before a shot is taken. I dont know where there is an exception to this anywhere in the USA.

Reactions: Johnbud

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Definitely need to see the video. If he had he hunting rifle on his body, my view is that he was hunting. Glassing and no rifle, could be defined as not hunting. Just my take. I'm sure someone who knows Wyoming law with chime in.

Reactions: Winchester

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Definitely need to see the video. If he had he hunting rifle on his body, my view is that he was hunting. Glassing and no rifle, could be defined as not hunting. Just my take. I'm sure someone who knows Wyoming law with chime in.
You are allowed to cross areas, with your rifle, to get to units your permit is good for. What was described above was active hunting but I agree, we need to see the video.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I'd say that two muzzle loaders are legal. Or even two rifles, or two shotguns to get around the magazine capacity laws. I know a number of waterfowl hunters who do it with a shotgun and nothing has been said when they have been checked.

Reactions: Hilltop

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I'd say that two muzzle loaders are legal. Or even two rifles, or two shotguns to get around the magazine capacity laws. I know a number of waterfowl hunters who do it with a shotgun and nothing has been said when they have been checked.
The two shotgun method is common in my area when jump shooting geese. I am not aware of any laws against the practice and have also seen several people checked with no issues.

Muley bound

Mar 12, 2013
Wisconsin
I know the 2 muzzleloaders is perfectly legal in the states I hunt. Pain in the ass to carry both, but it works. As far as the guy across units....man I’m not sure. That’s something one should ask fish and game BEFORE the issue arises. Glassing on one side, with no rifle is legit, but with rifle in hand. It would imply hunting in the wrong unit!

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
You go down a rabbit hole when you discuss "what ifs". I have taught firearms safety classes for 35 years, and the local warden does his presentation for one of the nights. Every year someone asks a question that he doesn't know (5 wardens thru the years), or provided an answer that I wasn't aware of. Wardens have a lot of discretion, and in my experience most use it wisely. An easy answer to the above situation is to have your rifle unloaded until you get to your unit. We all glass in areas that we don't have a tag for while carrying weapons in the vehicle.

BKC

Very Active Member
Feb 15, 2012
The high plains of Colorado
I carry a rifle and handgun sometimes when i am on my summer pack/scouting trips. Am I hunting? No Can I carry one during a season without a license, Yes Can I carry one during a season with a license for a unit that is several hours away? Yes Can I carry one during a season with a license for a unit across a drainage? Yes It is as Hilltop said, you can carry one thru a unit to get to another one. In Colorado don't they make us buy a qualifying license? I buy a small game license which allows me to shoot coyotes even at night with a electronic game call and artificial light. No further questions your honor.

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
As long as he had his conservation stamp he can legally carry a gun in any hunting area from my understanding. He would not be in trouble until he shot from one unit to the next.

Kevin W

Jan 26, 2013
I'm not going to post up the video link. I have never met the guy but he seems likable and I like the video's he posts. Average Joe type that try's to do everything right but this time I too believe he is incorrect in his thinking and practice. Had his quarry appeared across that creek I have no doubt he would have shot and filmed the whole thing (he even ranged out yardages). I will though reply back to him and ask him to come to this site and view this thread. He seems level headed enough to if nothing else research what he has practiced in the past and find out legal or not.
Again I am in the camp both the game animal and hunter must both be in the unit the tag is good for. And I also agree that packing a rifle through one unit to get to another is ok but a totally different situation.
Thanks guys!!!