Snowy Range Moose Scouting

highplainsdrifter

Very Active Member
May 4, 2011
Wyoming
My wife drew a Wyoming Snowy Range bull moose tag. We made three scouting trips in late July and August...one to the north end, one in the middle and one to the south end. The trips produced 10 moose in the north, 9 moose in the middle and 5 in the south. Unfortunately, none were quite big enough (see attached pictures). But it was very warm and there were people everywhere. We hope to get into the big ones when it cools down and the rut kicks in.

We'll be heading out soon...this time for the real thing. If anyone has seen a monster up there, please let us know.

Looking forward to the hunt!

Attachments

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Thanks for sharing! Looks like you had a good time and seen quite a few moose.

Like you said hopefully the big one show in the coming weeks. Good luck and keep us posted partner.
Good luck. Looking forward to pics & videos. 😉

Reactions: highplainsdrifter

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
As I'm sure you know, it'll only get better as the weather cools down. I've been fortunate to go on 8 WY moose hunts (me twice, wife, dad, brother, etc.) and it seems like the 1st week of Oct. is the sweet spot. Good luck to your wife.
any bowhunts? what are your thoughts on being successful on Moose with the Bow? especially if once and only moose hunt?

sneakypete

Veteran member
Aug 9, 2011
Oakdale Ca.
Where are you staying? I hunted that area awhile ago, not for moose though. We rented a cabin above Centinel? We saw moose along the hwy going west .

highplainsdrifter

Very Active Member
May 4, 2011
Wyoming
any bowhunts? what are your thoughts on being successful on Moose with the Bow? especially if once and only moose hunt?
My 70 year old wife is not capable of shooting a compound bow. But we have been practicing with a crossbow and she's deadly :) So, we'll try to get one with a bow and if that doesn't work we'll turn to a rifle on October 1st.