Sleeping pads

mthuntress

Mar 2, 2011
Dillon,MT
I need to upgrade!Any recommendation would be great but it can't be an air filled mattress that was my last one and it popped on me in the backcountry.

woodtick

Veteran member
Feb 24, 2011
Jim Bridger County, Utah
Mtnhuntress I really think you should look into the Big Agnes Insulated Air Core. i understand your thoughts about the air cell pads, but this thing is amazing and I've beat the tar out of it and not mention it's light and extremely comfortable.

IL Hntr

Feb 26, 2011
Southern Illinois
I just got a Nemo Astro Air Insulated last night. I have only had a chance to lay on it inside but it is fairly light 1lb. 8 oz. and very comfortable. It is basically a more durable and quieter Neo Air from everything I have gathered so far. I don't have a lot of experience with it yet but you may want to check it out, so far I'm impressed.

S&S Archery

Apr 2, 2011
Boise, ID
www.sandsarchery.com
I have both a Neo Air and Big Agnes inuslated air core. The neo air is sweet and super light but it definitely is a thinner material and I am super careful not to put it on top of anything sharp. The Air Core I've had for 5 years and have beat that thing to hell and it's still holding up great.

Maxhunter

Veteran member
Apr 10, 2011
Wyoming
Really like my Neo-Air due to the weight, but always watch wear I place it so I don't get any punctures. I did sleep out on some rocks one night when I was hunting dall sheep in Alaska and never got any holes in it.

pcc2b

May 15, 2011
Nashville, TN
i checked out the neo air at REI last week because I was thinking about getting one. It seemed super loud, like sleeping on bags of lays chips. My vote is for the BA insulated air core!

SDbowhunter

Feb 21, 2011
Winner, SD
I use the thermarest z-lite and love it, if I'm not packing in very far from the truck, or its super cold outside, I'll put a Cabelas Alaskan Guide air pad on top for added protection. Its a heavy pad so I don't use it much, I'm looking into the BA air cor as well.

Gotta love the BA insulated air core. I love mine and definitely bumps up the temp rating on your sleeping bag.The only downside is there weight. If I was going to buy a new sleeping pad today I would buy the neo air from thermarest. The shop I work for sells both as well.

Green&Gold

Apr 30, 2011
Madison, WI
I use the smallest Neo Air. As others mentioned, it's super light, but you also have to be careful as it could be punctured if you're not careful.