Sleeping cot

schl44

Feb 21, 2014
Im going on a Elk scouting trip/ Trout fishing trip this summer in the Big Horns in Wyoming. Im planning on sleeping in my Enclosed Utility trailer. Being im a big guy and am use to sleeping on a pretty firm mattress im looking for advice on what to set up to buy. Weight and space is not an issue. Any help on a good set up is appreciated!

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
I have a couple of these:

They're OK. Not the lightest, but very strong. They're utilitarian: even if you like a very firm mattress you may still want SOMETHING under you, even if just for insulation. The kids are fine on them with sleeping bags but I like a sleeping pad under me as well.

Reactions: Prerylyon

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Yeah, that's basically just a standard Army cot.
I have slept more hours on those that I care to count … it's a good firm cot, but not very comfortable without a pad.

brian.320

Feb 27, 2011
I have the cabelas lounger cot, it is oversized and very comfortable. Dont know if they still carrying them or not I got mine about 5 years ago. I also use a sleeping pad.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Many models out there. We use old Bass Pro oversize cots. I think the main items to consider.
1) Get a oversized one. Dont go regular size at all.
2) Large thick pad to insulate frok the air underneath.
3) Side braces are a must. Minimum of four. Really stiffins it up and provides a solid foundation to sleep on.

Reactions: Bullcan

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
I bought a 10inch thick (size: full) memory foam mattress and a collapsible metal frame. The metal frame can collapse into a 3ft x 3ft x 1ft package. I use it tent camping but would work in your enclosed trailer. I don't get a good nights sleep in a cot anymore, getting too old i guess.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I also have the Cabelas cot. It’s very comfortable with a pad on top.
in my experience .... so is a plywood floor .

imho.. if you have a pad , no cot is needed.

but I have been blessed with the ability to simply sleep on pretty much any flat surface.

not sure even a bed of nails would hinder me.

madeilieene

Jul 23, 2020
Basically, the only thing I would advise my younger self and to you as well - "just visit IKEA". Honestly, it has all you need to acquire a good sleep. Normally you should sleep in the bed you always want to come back to. It's like a beloved and magical place where you want to come every evening and enjoy your dreams. I thought so until I dreamed of a snake with two heads and was frightened until I read one meaning here https://dreams-meaning.com/blog/snakes-in-dreams from a competent woman talking about this dream. In fact, such snakes bring fortune and wealth.

Last edited: