Silvies Mule Deer

lambeau

Feb 8, 2013
Idaho
My brother and I (both ID residents) have been applying for several years for the Trout Creek Mtns and Steens Mt controlled rifle mule deer hunts with no success. With 9 preference points currently, we appear to be at least 5+ years out for Trout Creek and another 1-2+ years for Steens. Note: see the attached link I found on the web regarding OR drawing odds, and many thanks to Ron Wold from Portland, OR for taking the time to crunch the numbers and making the info accessible: https://sites.google.com/site/oregontags/home
Anyways, we are now looking to put our points to use this year and are looking at applyinig for either the Owyhee, Snake River, Beaulah or Silvies rifle hunts. Looking over EHJ's MRS section for Oregon I noticed there is no mention whatsoever of the Silvies unit. Based on the number of tags/applicants, it appears to be a fairly sought after tag.
Would appreciate anyone's $.02 on the subject, or any suggestions as to what other units might be worth our time investigating. Also, is the Steens tag worth holding out for a couple more years compared to these other units?

Ore.Bowhunter

Jul 15, 2013
Medford Oregon
I have been hunting in the Silvies for about 10 years now. Mostly for archery Elk. I have seen some really large Mule deer at times in this unit. Several years ago I had an older gentleman wanting to rifle hunt, so we drew tags for the Silvies (since i had been seeing some nice bucks there), we hunted this unit for the intire season and only seen a few does, no bucks. Now the areas I hunt for Sept elk might be different for fall deer, and we hunted the areas that I hunted in Sept. You have Nine points, I would choose a different unit, the Silvies does not usually take this many. Good Luck.

ore hunter

Very Active Member
Jul 25, 2014
I dont think silvies is worth 9 points or steens for that matter,,,I think steens unit is overrated for deer.

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
Just a thought, if I were you, I would use your points on a November muzzleloader blacktail hunt. There are half a dozen states in the west that have better mule deer hunting than Oregon. As a non-resident, it takes about 9 points to draw the better blacktail muzzleloader hunts.

Up until 2009 I had max points (16 points) in the state along with 5 other applicants and could draw any tag in the state. I kept buying points waiting for a mule deer hunt worth those points. I finally chose to burn them on a blacktail hunt, since I couldn't find a mule deer hunt that was better than one I could draw with 5 points or so in Colorado. The blacktail hunt I drew is one of the most in demand hunts in the state (White River Late).

It has been many years since I have heard a good report from the Trouts.

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
Just a thought, if I were you, I would use your points on a November muzzleloader blacktail hunt. There are half a dozen states in the west that have better mule deer hunting than Oregon. As a non-resident, it takes about 9 points to draw the better blacktail muzzleloader hunts.

Up until 2009 I had max points (16 points) in the state along with 5 other applicants and could draw any tag in the state. I kept buying points waiting for a mule deer hunt worth those points. I finally chose to burn them on a blacktail hunt, since I couldn't find a mule deer hunt that was better than one I could draw with 5 points or so in Colorado. The blacktail hunt I drew is one of the most in demand hunts in the state (White River Late).

It has been many years since I have heard a good report from the Trouts.
Digging up bones UH? He probably has 11 points now:D

Hooks&Horns

May 29, 2019
I'm hoping I draw this hunt this year with the 5 points I have. That being said, I'm hoping some of you guys can direct me on places to scout. I'm hoping to get out there sometime in July. Not asking for your honey holes just some direction. Thank you guys in advance