Should have asked for a Warrant

Hatchet Jack

Feb 14, 2018
Appalachian Trail, Maryland
If they are on your property asking questions then they have a reason, at least to themselves they do.

You refuse to comply and ask for a warrant they will simply either go get one or phone someone who will get a warrant while they wait outside of your home. Then with you refusing to give them access they will quite likely consider you hostile no matter how polite you were and ask for backup to enforce the warrant to see your firearms.

I'm no legal expert nor a lawyer but that is the way that I see it going down.
Sorry, you couldn't be more wrong.

Reactions: Extractor

Hatchet Jack

Feb 14, 2018
They were trying to verify that the person still had the firearms still in his possession … so they needed to see them. That can’t be verified with a phone call. Any criminal would just lie to them over the phone.
Although this may be inconvenient for the law abiding folks they check, just think how valuable it is when they do catch a criminal who’s passing on guns to other criminals.
They’re working to do a good thing and stop criminals from getting guns … which is their job, so it is their business.
People conduct lots of their business with cell phones nowadays. Scanning documents, sending photos, signing contracts, etc.... Some court proceedings are done via satellite or cell nowadays. They could have had him take photos or have done face time with him showing them the serial numbers at real time as he is talking to them.
The intimidation and invasion of privacy to a law abiding citizen was not at all necessary.

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
The guy did nothing wrong. The police officer tells him he did nothing wrong several times. They are curious and want to see his guns.
They have no grounds to get a warrant.
"The guy did nothing wrong." Correct ... but you're missing the point.
"They are curious and want to see his guns." Exactly!! That's the point.

These days there are School shootings or Mall shootings nearly all the time.
Afterward there's usually someone who says they suspected something but didn't do anything. It's the police's job to be curious and investigate when they suspect something ... like someone buying a bunch of guns in a short period of time. So they investigated. Good for them!!
If you just answer their questions and show them the guns they'll see you're legit and leave. Then they'll have time to work on others things.
Maybe their suspicions will lead them to someone about to commit a crime and they can stop it. Awesome!!
Better that than standing at the door arguing with them when you've "done nothing wrong".

But everyone must make their own choice. This is a dead horse. So long...

Reactions: Gr8bawana

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
"The guy did nothing wrong." Correct ... but you're missing the point.
"They are curious and want to see his guns." Exactly!! That's the point.

These days there are School shootings or Mall shootings nearly all the time.
Afterward there's usually someone who says they suspected something but didn't do anything. It's the police's job to be curious and investigate when they suspect something ... like someone buying a bunch of guns in a short period of time. So they investigated. Good for them!!
If you just answer their questions and show them the guns they'll see you're legit and leave. Then they'll have time to work on others things.
Maybe their suspicions will lead them to someone about to commit a crime and they can stop it. Awesome!!
Better that than standing at the door arguing with them when you've "done nothing wrong".

But everyone must make their own choice. This is a dead horse. So long...
You have the rite to remain silent and do not have to participate in any investigation especially one involving yourself.

They have to have reasonable articulate suspicion and probable cause to get a warrant, legally purchasing 1 or 100 weapons does not give reasonable suspicion a legal act cannot be used as or turned into suspicion or cause.

Cops also have to follow the law including trespass laws .

Without standing up to overreach you loose rights and freedoms.

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
It is over reach and every time you fail to question authority you loose a small piece of liberty.

" Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. "
Ben Franklin

Hows those standard 30 round mags work for you and red flag laws and background checks for hunting buddies to borrow a rifle.

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Apples and oranges … the police don’t make the laws. They just do their best to enforce them despite all of the roadblocks they must deal with today.
I believe the police are doing their best to protect us.
It must be tough being so paranoid, which is your right, by being so you become another road block. Sad.

… and FYI it’s “lose” not “loose”

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
Thanks ill fix autocorrect.

Problem is most cops don't know the laws and feel like they can do what they want , whats sad is cops not respecting the rights of the people. When they have no legal basis for questioning. A legal act cannot be used as suspicion of a crime. Thats the law per the Supreme court.

Don't know how I'm a road block as i don't do stuipd stuff so i don't have to deal with cops. Only stopped once in the last five years cause a tail light was out gave them license and insurance said thanks for letting me know and went on my way. No stupid questions on his part and no games so no grief from me .

You need to remember they work for the public so respect is earned not just given.

( I tried to spell check everything however its hard to make sure on the phone screen, may have missed some punctuation too. Please forgive me.)

Reactions: Extractor

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Well spoken; however, you begin with “Problem is most cops don’t know the laws and feel like they can do what they want...”
That’s almost certainly a false premise therefore the rest of your argument falls apart.

I do agree with your last statement that, “… they work for the public so respect is earned not just given.”
That’s always correct … and the police I know have earned my respect.
I hope the police you know can earn yours.
Have a great day.

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
Whats the saying " know enough to be dangerous " while they have more knowledge then the average citizen, leo's are not lawers nor law experts and only have knowledge of certain laws and only those parts they've been trained on .

I have great respect for some officers that i know and absolutely zero for some that I know.

Reactions: Winchester

Hatchet Jack

Feb 14, 2018
Winchester says ''this is a dead horse, so long" yet he still comes back and insults by insinuating that NV Hunter is paranoid as well as telling him he has poor grammar.
These are tell tale signs that a person is frustrated because they are getting their butt whooped in a discussion.
There is no place for that here Winnie. Please stop it. OK?

Hatchet Jack

Feb 14, 2018
I want the police to follow the letter of the law and proper protocol. Not the wishes of a curious commanding officer who thinks I bought too many guns last month.. Just because the police do or say something, does not always make them right. They are wrong many times. Just like the rest of us.
I had a discussion with a local sheriff's deputy at my gun club one night. Told him about these guys who were constantly trespassing on me when I was hunting. These guys would tell me they were tracking wounded deer. I told them to stop because they did not have the right to trespass unless they had my permission. The sheriff's deputy told me I was wrong, that they could trespass on my property to track deer on my property without my permission. I told the deputy he needed to read up on the laws because he was 100% wrong.. Even some LEO don't know all the laws.

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Yep, I said talking with you was like beating a dead horse because it is. You haven’t added anything of value to add to this thread … just a lot of whining about the police.
NV Hunter had some new thoughts so we had a discussion. Sorry you don’t like that. NV was worth talking to, you are not. So long.

Reactions: Gr8bawana

Hatchet Jack

Feb 14, 2018
Yep, I said talking with you was like beating a dead horse because it is. You haven’t added anything of value to add to this thread … just a lot of whining about the police.
NV Hunter had some new thoughts so we had a discussion. Sorry you don’t like that. NV was worth talking to, you are not. So long.
Again with the insults. That's what happens when you can't win an argument Winnie.
The police were wrong. They had no legal right. Period!
You want to make excuses for them until you are blue in the face and insult people.
I don't whine, I call people out when they are wrong and infringe on others' rights.
I can only assume by the way you see no problem with police knocking on law abiding citizens doors and harassing them that you must be a Hillary voter and consider the rest of us 2nd Amendment loving people as Deplorables.

First they came for my neighbor because he bought too many guns last month.
I said nothing.
Then they came for my brother-in-law because he had too many 30 round mags in his possession.
I said nothing.
Then they came for my co worker because he bought too much ammo last year.
I said nothing.
Then they came for me and my guns and there was no one left to speak for me.

Hatchet Jack

Feb 14, 2018
Not paranoid, never have been, never will be.
Just want to be left alone as long as I live a decent life and don't break any laws.
I have several LEO friends who have seen this video. They are appalled and sickened by it.