Shooting Sports

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I know everyone here shoots something, firearm or bow. I don't shoot a bow so my question is basically for firearm shooters.

Do you do any competitive shooting?

I do and have for over 65 years. I'll start out with shotguns.
I have shot in ATA Trap Shooting, NSSA Skeet Shooting and live pigeon shooting.

Handguns.
I shoot Bulls Eye Pistol and curranty run a club league 6 months a year.

Rifle.
I have shot Bench Rest Rifle competition.

Combination .
Cowboy Action Shooting. Shoot pistols, lever action rifle and double bbl shotgun.

I recently had to give up shooting Cowboy because of some recurring shoulder problems. All I shoot now is Bulls Eye. Over the years competative shooting has honed my shooting skills and satisfied my competative juices.

What do you do?

Reactions: Winchester

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
That’s awesome CC … I’m sure all that practice has paid off big-time !! Remind me not to challenge you to a shooting competition 😳
I shot competitively growing up and while in college but not since then. Plenty of shooting, just not competitively.

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
Nothing like you have done C.C.

As a kid I shot NRA small-bore target matches. I've been on several competitive skeet leagues and was on the State Troopers combat pistol team.

Nowadays, it's mostly me against the ground squirrels and occasional big game!

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I used to be in several leagues for archery when I was younger but then I kinda topped out/couldn’t afford better equipment and accepted that I would never make it to the next level. Still a good shot with a bow but I’m no Levi Morgan.

Same story for trap, skeet and sporting clays. Just not enough income to pursue the sport. And I even make my own shot, so that’s pretty sad. Club fees, clay prices and components just about ran me broke when I made a run at it. And I did/do shoot really well. But I had to choose hunting trips or competition sports.

I just simply spend too much money on hunting to have hobby sports.

I might get into flintlock competitions when I get older for something to keep me occupied. I’ve got enough lead to cast a million round balls. If I can find a keg of 3f goex, a box of flints, and a bedsheet or two I’ll be set. Ha!

idcwby

Administrator
Jun 23, 2015
Idaho
I’ve shot trap competitively a couple times. Have always wanted to get into more of it, but it’s hard to do with my work schedule and being out of town. The precision rifle stuff looks like a lot of fun and a way to help in hunting situations. Maybe someday. It all looks fun from archery to long range. I think I just like shooting stuff. 😁

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I used to be in several leagues for archery when I was younger but then I kinda topped out/couldn’t afford better equipment and accepted that I would never make it to the next level. Still a good shot with a bow but I’m no Levi Morgan.

Same story for trap, skeet and sporting clays. Just not enough income to pursue the sport. And I even make my own shot, so that’s pretty sad. Club fees, clay prices and components just about ran me broke when I made a run at it. And I did/do shoot really well. But I had to choose hunting trips or competition sports.

I just simply spend too much money on hunting to have hobby sports.

I might get into flintlock competitions when I get older for something to keep me occupied. I’ve got enough lead to cast a million round balls. If I can find a keg of 3f goex, a box of flints, and a bedsheet or two I’ll be set. Ha!
When I started shooting, the cost was pretty minimal. Ammunition and guns were very reasonable and my Dad and I reloaded everything except rimfire. As I got older, the ones that I stayed with were the ones I shot the best in and were the most fun (winning is fun!!). After I retired i got interested in Cowboy Action and really loved it. I was pretty good and loved shooting old guns and black powder. It was hard to give up. I do like Bulls Eye Pistol and do well shooting it.

Mr Drysdale

Mar 24, 2013
I got into shooting NRA High Power several years ago and really enjoyed it. My main rifle was an AR 15 but did shoot a M1A in several matches. I never made Master Class but was just short of it. The time spent shooting High Power definitely improved my shooting skills. I also shot IDPA pistol a few years. My club sponsored the State Match two years while I was competing. Also improved my skill with a pistol. When the grandkids starting coming I ran out of time to make the matches. I still shoot rifles a lot and even mount scopes and sight in rifles for people. Proficient with a bow but not worth a darn with a scatter gun.