Shoot or Pass?

lukew

Administrator
Jul 1, 2019
Hey everyone! Simply question... SHOOT or PASS? This is a photo of a buck I took in Northern Wyoming.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
to be honest it really depends on the unit and wether or not I thought there was a reasonable chance I could do better .

IT would also depend on the status of my freezer.

but …. more often then not , yes,I would shoot it .

don't waste your life worrying about others will do.. the real question is ,are YOU happy you shot it??????

congrats on your buck!

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I'm a sucker for eye guards....let it fly. lol

If I was holding out for a really big buck I would pass.

I dont want to shoot a buck just to shoot a buck....If I want meat, I would shoot a doe in Georgia.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
LQ tag, probably not. However, it may depend on the general unit, known quality, time left to hunt & weather. Last day of hunt- yes. I have a minimum in my mind when I take to the field. If I simply want meat, I shoot does.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I shoot does for meat ,IF I can get a doe tag. not always possible.

truth is if I am just out for meat I would be better off getting a beef at market

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
The fact that I have never killed a mule deer would come into play on that buck. I have only hunted them once and passed on a couple that were close to that but were not 5x5's. One a 2X3 had great mass and tine length but no eye guards. My goal is to kill one a lot larger than any whitetail I have killed. Spread, mass, and tine length are the main thing it needs to at least a 3x3. I hope to have antelope tags to fill the ice box.

Reactions: kidoggy

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
The fact that I have never killed a mule deer would come into play on that buck. I have only hunted them once and passed on a couple that were close to that but were not 5x5's. One a 2X3 had great mass and tine length but no eye guards. My goal is to kill one a lot larger than any whitetail I have killed. Spread, mass, and tine length are the main thing it needs to at least a 3x3. I hope to have antelope tags to fill the ice box.
I killed a doe antelope last year . ain't much to them. would take quite a few to fill a freezer.

awesome meat though . :D