Shells

Wyoming Hart

Very Active Member
Oct 10, 2014
Spring Run, PA
What's everyone choice on turkey shells and what are you shooting them out of? I have a Remington 11-87 Super Mag that shoots 3.5" Hevi-Shot Magnum Blends. This combo has done well for myself as well as my father. I've only missed 1 turkey in the 15 years that I have had the gun. Obviously the Magnum Blends haven't been out that long, but have used Hevi-Shot since it came out through Remington.

brianboh

Jun 4, 2015
Powell, Wyoming
I am a hard core turkey hunter and true believer in the Heavy Shot Magnum Blends. However the past two years I have shot Long Beards. They are cheaper and I get twice for the money. I have killed turkeys out to 70 yards with them and don't hesitate at 60 if I need to shoot. Either one paired with an Indian Creek choke equals smashed tators.

Extractor

Jun 7, 2015
Appleton, Wisconsin
Ditto the Winchester Long Beard, wicked patterns out of Carlson long beard choke. I used to shoot the Extended Range and the magnum blend but the LB is just as good and much cheaper. Wish they would develop a load like that for ducks.

D.Turvey Jr

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Feb 11, 2014
Powell, WY
I bought some Long Beard XR to try in my Weatherby Element and the season just slipped away, never pulled the trigger.

Wyoming Hart

Very Active Member
Oct 10, 2014
Spring Run, PA
I've got a box of Long Beards and fired a couple of shots of them. Didn't have as good of a pattern at 40 as the Hevi-Shot or what I was expecting. No doubt will definitely do the job and I'll use them some day.

swampokie

Veteran member
Jul 29, 2013
Haworth Oklahoma
The magnum blend ammo is all I shoot. I don't shoot Enuff shots at turkeys to worry about the price. The difference it has made for me is unbelievable. I was one that said way too high to shoot until I shot them. Wow! I it was
High volume shooting I'd look elsewhere but turkey hunting generally is not.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I found about 25 Activ 3# # 4 shots in my ammo pile the other day and patterned them over the weekend in my wifes SuperX3 Compact. Things shot a hell of a group at 40 yards. I told her she didnt need to buy shells for 24 seasons....she sneered at me lol

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
I found about 25 Activ 3# # 4 shots in my ammo pile the other day and patterned them over the weekend in my wifes SuperX3 Compact. Things shot a hell of a group at 40 yards. I told her she didnt need to buy shells for 24 seasons....she sneered at me lol
Haha. I bought a box if 2 3/4 #6 Heavy shot for my wife a few years ago.. There's 8 shells left out of the box of 10, and 2 dead gobblers to show for it. I'm not sure she'll chase turkeys very much anymore, but I'd make a strong bet that if she did, she'd kill 10 birds with those 10 shells!
As for me.. I just shoot regular old Federal copper plated 5's thru a full choke. Used to shoot extra full chokes, but I missed too often with them. When you do connect though, it's dirty..
ouch.jpg

limbhanger4

Feb 27, 2017
Richwood, West Virginia
I maybe an old school guy but I've used Winchester XX 2 1/4oz loads for ten years or more. I can kill em at 10yds as well as 65+ yards. That's with an 870 SurperMag 3 1/2" shell with a KICKS gobbling thunder choke and, my 15yo son has killed 3 with it the last two springs with it as well. I can't say that I haven't missed with this combo but I'll have to admit, it was never the guns fault

Last edited:

Daubs

Aug 5, 2016
Nebraska
I purchased three boxes of Federal 3.5" premium mag 12ga. with #6 lead shot many, many years ago. Ten shells per box.

I'm picky and pretty lucky...just one shot per turkey, per year. Like them in close. Still have a box+ left.

I really never bought in to the heavy shot craze. Good ol Lead has treated me well for 30+ years of turkey hunting.

When these boxes are gone, I'll probably get some more #6 3.5" lead shotgun shells.

jkean949

Sep 26, 2016
Kansas City
870 26" barrel, Hevi-Shot choke, 3" Hevi-Shot #5 blend, 2oz. Very comfortably puts gobbler feet in the air past 50 yards, that's the Spring turkey sniper setup though. When I am in the woods during Fall turkey, I am usually there either checking cameras or maybe small game hunting with my old school 16ga loaded with #6. That 16 has dropped many birds during the Fall.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk