Shed hunters on here?

memtb

Every year, the wife and I are gonna go......yet haven’t! Same with our Spring Bear hunt......every year it’s gonna happen! The sad thing is, we would be Bear hunting and shed hunting in the same area....less than 70 miles from our front door! :mad: But, I can tell you all about the many hours we’ve spent working around the house this Spring! :unsure::mad: memtb

Reactions: THelms and kidoggy

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
Every year, the wife and I are gonna go......yet haven’t! Same with our Spring Bear hunt......every year it’s gonna happen! The sad thing is, we would be Bear hunting and shed hunting in the same area....less than 70 miles from our front door! :mad: But, I can tell you all about the many hours we’ve spent working around the house this Spring! :unsure::mad: memtb
same . I had to put a new roof on my house this spring. of coarse once that was done I had to paint it (house)also.

Reactions: THelms and memtb

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Several of my friends went out on the first legal day in one of our favorite areas. They found nothing but the tracks of people, horses, and 4 wheelers that had gone out before it was legal.
I was going to go back to Wyoming and spend a few days doing some shed hunting but the guy whose place I stayed at told me that I would be wasting my time because the snowmobilers pick up 90% of them before it was legal. They find some but he said that most get picked up and cashed in places until the first day of the season.

My wife really wants to go shed hunting in Wyoming.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I'll bet I COULD find a bunch of sheds ifn I had me a leupold spottin scope! juz throwin that out there. ;) :D

Reactions: Mnbogboy

Kodiak

Oct 27, 2014
I get out when I can. It is always a good way to burn off some cabin fever from winter. Picked up a few shed this year but having a kid this year cut back on the available time.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I put in about 40 miles or so looking last month but only found 2. I think with the mild winter the deer are higher up on the mountains the usual.

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
there is a shed season? never heard of that.
Typically doing to many "fun" things this time of year to worry about sheds. mountain bikes and whitewater come first!

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Found two small sheds and one 125" deadhead in 6-7 mi of walking. I usually don't find much more than this even thought I know there are a number of bucks (even small ones) in the area

memtb

there is a shed season? never heard of that.
Typically doing to many "fun" things this time of year to worry about sheds. mountain bikes and whitewater come first!

I don’t know about other states, but in Wyoming the season is placed to protect the animals during their wintering months to pretect them from unnecessary stress! Shed hunting is very popular here, and the hundreds of people entering the wintering feeding areas can severely harm animals already weakened/stressed from several months of extreme cold, winds, and often rather deep snow! memtb

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
I don’t know about other states, but in Wyoming the season is placed to protect the animals during their wintering months to pretect them from unnecessary stress! Shed hunting is very popular here, and the hundreds of people entering the wintering feeding areas can severely harm animals already weakened/stressed from several months of extreme cold, winds, and often rather deep snow! memtb
is it just a wyoming thing? So i take it, you can go hike, bike and snowmobile, ski ect in these areas before shed season, just not pick up sheds?

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Same as Colorado. Some closures exist on public land.

memtb

is it just a wyoming thing? So i take it, you can go hike, bike and snowmobile, ski ect in these areas before shed season, just not pick up sheds?
I haven’t actually checked or verified the details, but I do know that interfering with the animals in their winter habitat is highly discouraged! Again, I believe that there are some areas closed to recreation to protect the animals, also many forest roads, two tracks, ect. are closed to vehicular traffic until late spring/ early summer! memtb

Mnbogboy

Aug 19, 2018
Hibbing, MN
This spring has been a bust for my shed hunting, only found 1 sobfar after spending most of the winter in the hospital with a major stroke. My springtime has been filled with therapy. Ive gained most of my left side function back now. Doctors wouldnt let me drive although ive ventured out about a half dozen times. Im used to finding 10-20 sheds each uear ( whitetails) but up here in the big timber there are only a few honeyholes that i search. Thiscuear hasbbeen torture staying in the gouse on those perfect shed hunting days. I have litetally hundreds of shedd in the garage and i am citrently contemplating a methodbto mount the larger pairs. The 140 to 150 class pairs should make awesome mounts & conversation pieces.