Seeking Wild Rabbit Recipes

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
After several trips afield with no luck connecting on pheasants (worst I've ever seen in 17 yrs of hunting Iowa), but kicking up ample cottontails on my long walks, I think its time to shift gears, and take some bunnies as cold weather sets in! 🐇

I have an Italian inspired 'hunter's rabbit' cacciatore deal I've usually used; but would like to learn how you guys like to prepare rabbit? especially the spices used in some of the fricassees and stews.

I'm thinking of trying a basic fricassee next with mirepoix, and maybe a wine-cream sauce, using a light red and evaporated milk as the sauce foundation.

Looking forward to your suggestions! 😉

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I keep it pretty simple with our bunnies most of the time- I roll skinned, clean, rabbit pieces in a mixture of crushed corn flakes and seasonings and then fry most of the time. We also make BBQ rabbit, rabbit and noodles, and baked rabbit occasionally. My 2 favorite seasoning blends for baking are a simple lemon pepper with butter or a rosemary pepper with a little wine in the bottom of the pan.

Reactions: Prerylyon

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I also keep it simple.

I'll take the dutch oven or a heavy skillet and brown the rabbit in a little bit of hot oil. I'll then add enough Cream Of Chicken or Cream of Mushroom soup or some of each to cover the rabbit. I'll then reduce the heat to where it is barely a simmer and cover the pan. I'll let it cook this way for a couple of hours until done.

dirtclod Az.

Veteran member
Jan 26, 2018
Arizona
I also keep it simple.

I'll take the dutch oven or a heavy skillet and brown the rabbit in a little bit of hot oil. I'll then add enough Cream Of Chicken or Cream of Mushroom soup or some of each to cover the rabbit. I'll then reduce the heat to where it is barely a simmer and cover the pan. I'll let it cook this way for a couple of hours until done.
Plus onion and garlic near the end,just so they are al dente'.Makes things more interesting...
especially in a tent full of gassy hunters.:sneaky: 🔥

sleepingbear

Sep 15, 2011
Carson City
I have one i do in my dutch oven. 1. kill the wabbit (s) 2. clean and debone the wabbit 3. cut up red potatoes(1/4s),carrots,green beans. celery, onion, garlic,mushrooms, few twigs of rosemary, and really any other veggies that fit this style of cooking. Ad half a cup of white wine ad the meat then carrots and top with potatoes and season with salt ,pepper and multi spice. let that cook on high for about 1.5 hrs then add the the rest of the veggies that will cook fairly quick. Then add 2 large cans of cream of mushroom (can use cream of chicken) let that cook another hour on low heat. Make some home made biscuits or get the red lobster pre-mixed and follow those directions. Sometimes i do as JimP and brown first

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
Some good ideas, guys!

I've done the cream soup base with pheasant and enjoyed it. I never knock the cream of mushroom or whatever soup trick with wild game stews. They make a great base for a flavorful sauce. Campbells (or Heinz, they make a lot of the generic label condensed soups) have long ago figured out how to make flavorful, mass produced cream soups. If you have ever tried to make cream of mushroom soup or a mushroom sauce from scratch, it's not necessarily the easiest thing to whip up.

Here is a link to recipe that's pretty close to my hunter's rabbit I mentioned-I guess its my Sicilian half of the tastbuds-its excellent over pasta, polenta, risotto:

88man

Feb 20, 2014
Pa
Rabbit is my favorite meat!! Typically boil in onions for 45 mins then flour them up and fry in butter, Thats old school.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
I gut, skin, then quarter the rabbits with bone in, batter with KFC original receipe (knock off receipe found on line) then deep fry.