Secondary Draw

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Good luck.
FYI… Youths have priority in the 2nd draw.
Everyone should have an equal chance in the second draw. I’m in no man’s land, or middle age, so I still have a shot at a few coveted tags but the youth have a lifetime to build up points and how much longer existing life span to draw those tags. Sure the system will probably change on them but it just doesn’t seem to make it right in my mind….

Before someone jumps on me, but perhaps I’m safe because this isn’t in the Wyoming forum – lol, I fully support the allotment of a select number of tags for our youth in the primary draw. However I do think they should be excluded from sheep, moose, and goat when there are folks have been waiting for 30 years.
Additionally, I’m in favor of an all youth open season on wolves October through March- on a quota system of course 😁

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Since I struck out on the primary draw again this year I put in for a couple of units in the secondary.

I doubt that I'll draw either one but as they say, if you don't apply don't complain about not getting a chance at hunting this fall. Who knows? I just may pull on of those tags.

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Everyone should have an equal chance in the second draw. I’m in no man’s land, or middle age, so I still have a shot at a few coveted tags but the youth have a lifetime to build up points and how much longer existing life span to draw those tags. Sure the system will probably change on them but it just doesn’t seem to make it right in my mind….

Before someone jumps on me, but perhaps I’m safe because this isn’t in the Wyoming forum – lol, I fully support the allotment of a select number of tags for our youth in the primary draw. However I do think they should be excluded from sheep, moose, and goat when there are folks have been waiting for 30 years.
Additionally, I’m in favor of an all youth open season on wolves October through March- on a quota system of course 😁
No argument, I was just stating the facts …😉

Reactions: Bonecollector

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
I thought when my son was younger the whole " you don't fill your tag in your primary season you can now hunt any season till filled in an even bigger area of GMUS" was pretty spot on. This works well.

Having maybe 10 percent go to youth in the secondary and some kinda split between non res and res % wise I think would be great.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
SOOO many tags turned back in as per usual. I wonder how point creep would be reduced if the people who turned the tags back in lost their points...They need to seriously act on this sooner than later.

I hope people aren't drawing these tags and then turning their tags back in immediately just to give their kids with 0 points a shot at the tag. There are a lot of games being played behind the scenes. Know that. If they took peoples points for drawing an A list tag it would be very interesting to see how long the list is next season....

Think about the following situation:

Mom, Dad, Grandpa, Grandma, Aunt, Uncle, all have 6 points and draw tags for EE-00401A (even though Mom, Grandpa, Grandma, Aunt and Uncle don't even hunt and live in Vegas.....) They can scoop up 6 tags and turn them all back in for the possibility of their grandkids to draw. I hope people aren't doing this but my gut instinct tells me that it is happening...Its literally the same situation with "Point Averaging" that is happening in Wyoming. I know a group of scallywags from GA who buy points for EVERYONE in their family.....(most of which have never nor will they ever cross the Mississippi in their lifetime)

People will play the system if the states leave these "loopholes" to be played.

Last edited:

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
These tags also consist of ones that were not paid for.

As it was explained to me last year the ones not paid for go back into the secondary draw and unless the unit and species takes 6 or more points to draw they go to the secondary draw instead of to the next person in line.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I might be wrong here but I believe that ALL under-subscribed and surrendered tags (tags taking 5 points or less) prior to population of the secondary draw list get put into the the secondary draw. (Excluding those that take 6 points or more , these go to the next person in line).

So my hypothetical situation regarding tag grabber grandpa and grandma isn't that far off....and it is very possible that this could be happening. I certainly wouldn't put it past people. People will do anything to get a tag these days. And if you think about it, its a clever strategy on getting those tags added back to the list for a small application fee and a shot at them while you still build points. The "Lame Duck" applicant theory....People who get the tag, to keep others from getting the tag, to help people they know have a shot at the tag.

The monkey wrench into the situation is that the tags go to youth preference in the secondary draw. So a lot of these decent tags are not available to draw at all by the time the adults get to their spot in line. That's one of the many reasons I think that hunters are complaining about the tags going to the youth because it cuts their chances on picking up these tags dramatically.

Like I said, its just a theory. But I'm sure its happening. People are crafty.

Last edited:
Reactions: brian.320

Granby guy

Nov 5, 2012
Grand Lake, Colorado

Why shouldn’t youth get priority in the second draw? The only quota set aside for them in the primary draw are 15% of the antlerless deer, elk or antelope tags. There are no moose, sheep or goat tags set aside for youth, they are in the same pool as everyone else.
I think the priority in the secondary draw should be youth first and residents next. There is nothing currently stopping you from buying an OTC elk tag and going hunting. I don’t understand why you feel your wants should take precedence over a youth hunter, particularly one that is a resident.