Secondary Draw for Big Game Tags

D_Dubya

Aug 8, 2012
South Texas
Tuesday would be my guess. Second draw has been pretty good to my kids the last two years, two good 2nd season deer tags and one first rifle elk. Both kids struck out on all their applications this year but got points, hopefully they’ll have some luck again in the 2nd draw.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Looking at the list I don't need to worry since all the elk tags that I am interested in will go to the youth hunters who apply.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
It's a joke how many tags were turned back in with 0 consequences. An absolute joke.
All of the infighting about R Vs. NR tag allocation ect ect blah blah blah and there are THOUSANDS of tags that are turned back in. lmao.

Colorado's draw system is so broken and easily manipulated that it's not even funny.

I would be sweet to be 12 years old right now and have a serious western hunter for a father. Thats a fact.

Reactions: 00BUCK and JimP

ColoradoV

Very Active Member
Oct 4, 2011
Only problem I got w it is all Co tags should be given out at the 75-25% split including the youth, returned, and second draw…. Travesty that NR youth outdraw Residents..

Had a real good buddy’s daughter get an early mulie tag off the list last year. As a family they worked their ass off = the buck will be in eastmans shortly if not already printed.

I will say she outworked pry about every “hardcore” guy I know and got her buck. Or she deserved that buck more than most hunters can comprehend.. Very few grown men would go through what it took to get that buck where it was…..

At least it is a draw so the non resident bot operation will not get the best tags as that is happening in the returned tags = or if folks knew what is going on there 😂😳……

D_Dubya

Aug 8, 2012
South Texas
If I was a resident I would probably be unhappy with the lack of a R/NR split…but I’m not so I’ll count my NR blessings, put my kids in and hope for the best. Last year my daughter killed a bull and my son killed a nice buck, both on second draw tags. I will say, the second draw has created at least two fanatical teenaged hunters.B8CFA2E8-25A3-4573-9129-CB507CE580B5.jpeg94B09C63-933E-4110-AAFA-A3AEBCE3B342.jpeg

DRUSS

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2014
nw oregon
As the kids have gotten older and out of the youth pool, ive found myself and a few friends who just look at the list now and have stopped applying. I do feel its nice for more youth tag chances.

ColoradoV

Very Active Member
Oct 4, 2011
Well seems my wife got a email from cpw and put herself in unbeknown to me 🤦🏼‍♂️. Should have never showed her how to do it. Well she does not read the regs ever and put in for rifle bull tag w 2 licenses and for a buck tag w 1 license….

Didn’t have the heart to tell her she is showing up to the draw like..

IMG_5989.jpeg

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Yep. All of the units I applied for (except for 1) had 4 or less tags. One of the elk units that I have hunted several times always has left over tags. It is a migratory unit and needs some snow to push the animals into the area.