Searching For A Very Small Block & Tackle

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
The title says it all. I am looking for a small block and tackle that will fit in a pocket or not take up much room in a pack.

Years ago I saw them small enough that would almost fit into the palm of a large hand but I haven't been able to find any now.
I have larger ones that will hoist a whole elk up into the air with very little effort but I need a small one to help load a animal but I don't need one that is large and bulky.

Anyone have any ideas?

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
Wranglerstar did a review on the Nifty-Lift here:

I wasn't impressed enough to buy it but it may be worth a look.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Kinda off topic but this reminds me of my moose winch I built a few years ago.

It was a welded steel framework that held a boat winch. Those whole contraption was outfitted with 200' of 3/32 aircraft cable.

The idea was: If a moose died in the water I would winch it up onto shore.

Well.....my wife's moose didn't die in the water but I wanted to test the thing out so I hooked it to two difference pine trees that were about 8" in diameter. I pulled them both over trying to budge the moose.....

Then I hooked it to a bigger tree and tried to budge the moose and the ratchet strap broke.
Then I hooked it to a bigger tree and tried to budge the moose and the steel framework collapsed.

When the pilot came to get us he asked how that winch worked. I told him it worked great, especially since he said he "didn't think it would work"...lol

I should have burned a couple more rods on that thing and I believe it would have worked....Strange because I drug my Honda pioneer with the E-brake on in the yard with the thing..... I guess "dead weight" is different than "moose dead weight" lol

Oh well. The theory was sound....

Last edited:

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
A lot of people don't realize just how big a moose is until you have to move it.

A number of years ago I was on a bison hunt in Utah when my brother in law shot one. When I got up to it I thought that I would just grab the horns and wrench the head around to where we could get a good picture. I quickly realize that bison are bigger than I thought, his head didn't even budge. It took 4 of us to move him around to where we could start working on him to get the meat out.

But we did have a neat capstan winch if we needed it that we could anchor to a tree. It was about the size of a chain saw engine and we had a thousand feet of rope if we would of needed it

Reactions: mallardsx2