scope help

jmwyoming

Feb 28, 2013
Lost springs wy
Does anybody have any insight on the burris eliminator III? Thinking of putting it one my 300 weatherby. Is it easy to set up with your rifle? Is it accurate? Is it worth the cost? Also what mounts would you suggest? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks, john

MOhunter28

Dec 30, 2015
Branson, Missouri
I don't have a whole lot of info on it but a guy a spoke with once had one and said it was awesome but had one big draw back. He said in order to get a good range from it the gun had to be steady. What I took from the conversation he had was that he had to have a solid rest to range a animal accurately. What I understood was that if you have a animal at 500 yards its hard to shoulder the rifle free handed and get a range, you would have to be on a bipod or something. In a stalking situation he said it was not ideal but if you had time to set up and be ready for a shot it was nice.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I shoot a .300 Wby, with a Leupold VXlll 4x14 with the Leupold dot reticle, that has the Leupold ballistic turret on it. these are custom made to your rifle/ammunition ballistics.. Absolutely awesome. I have shot mine out to 600 yards and its dead on. My rifle/scope and my reloads shoot 3/4" groups at 100 yards and keeps the 3/4" group out to 6oo. This a lethal setup for me if I do my part.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
I heard the same as JMW. I don't think its worth the cost. Although I'm a little younger and not as wise as CC.......I send a lot of people down the road of picking an all around good bullet weight for your hunting type.......make that load perfect for your rifle then get a Leupold with the custom ballistic turrets on it. You will get people who will say "oh but its only good for one load" I'll argue for western game hunting, a good bullet in the 150-160 grain range will be perfect for everything we have to shoot at.

My two biggest $$ spends is good glass and scopes for us. I don't think that thing is anywhere near the worth versus cost spectrum.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Slugz is correct. I have 3 basic rifles I use for big game hunting, all are set up with Leupolds and have ballistic turrets on each one. My Ruger M77 is a 25-06 and I only use one bullet (117gr Sierra Game King BT) and one load for deer and antelope. I also shoot a sporterized military 03 Springfield for deer and elk with one load (150 gr Sierra Game king BT). My elk/moose rifle is a custom commercial Mauser action in .300 Wby , use one load with a 180 gr Nosler Partition. I have spent many hours at the range developing loads for each one. I have also shot a lot of game with them too. This system works for me, but may not be for everyone.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
jmw- no experience with the scope so can't offer an opinion. As far as mounts go, I love Leupold bases and mounts. I feel they are as good as you can buy without going super expensive.

xtreme

Very Active Member
Feb 25, 2011
Searcy, Arkansas 72143
Since you are asking whether the eliminator III is worth putting on your Weatherby 300, I can tell you what I have seen. My brother has purchased his second one. He had one on his muzzy and killed a nice wt at 341yds from the parking lot for hunters. The other one is on his 6.5 x 284. I have spent more on my scopes and probably have less. My best scope is a Leupold VX-7 on my Browning 7mm. It shoots so well that most people don't believe me when I tell them. The Browning 243 WSSM shoots even better. It has a z5 on it. Key to both guns is the BOSS system by Browning. I can go from 95gr to 55gr in under a minute and still have the same sub !/2 MOA. Why this system is not more popular I don't know, it for sure works. Put the eliminator on your gun and don't look back. It will help to be patience because the set up is a little more complicated from what I have observed. One more gun I use everyday is a Savage with a Nikon on my 22-250. Nothing to brag about there. Both gun and scope are disappointing.