Savage extractor issues

Turbodude

Oct 17, 2017
Red side of Ca
Well I bought myself a Savage Storm 110 for Christmas last year. In getting it ready & sighted for Wyoming deer hunt in 2 weeks & now it won't eject shells. Anyone else have this issue with a Savage? I do have a backup to bring in its place so its not a total disaster. Anyways good luck this season, TD

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Ok, then it pulls the shell out of the chamber but just doesn't throw the empty clear.

I can't find anything on the net about how the ejector works on this rifle but there is usually a plunger that has a spring behind it and once the empty is cleared of the chamber it flips it out of the rifle. It could be a broken spring or a stuck plunger. Can you take a picture of the bolt face and post it where I can see what it looks like?

I would call Savage Support or email them in the morning and see what they can tell you. The email from what it says on their page is that you should get a reply in 3 days.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
There are a few videos on YouTube on the disassembly of the bolt but I haven't found one that talks much about the bolt face where the ejector is located at.

But you should be able to punch out a pin that holds it in place to access the spring and plunger, or what I call the plunger that ejects the shell.

Here is a PDF of the bolt. It isn't from a Storm but a 110 but it should be close to the same.

The bolt face is #12

The ejector retaining pin you need to remove is #11

Then the ejector spring #13

And the ejector #14

I got this off of Numrich Gun Parts web site

Attachments

Reactions: Turbodude

Micah S

Jan 11, 2016
Sandy Oregon
I've replaced a few extractors in Savages. Most of the time they get destroyed by certain types of ammo. Hornady superformance is the worst.

Turbodude

Oct 17, 2017
Red side of Ca
I have been trying to find a load my rifle will shoot accurately & I tried the superformance last week, maybe that contributed a little bit. Unfortunately my gun did not like those loads, they were all over the place. I quit after 3 shots. Know anyone looking to buy these, got 2 boxes.

Reactions: NE69

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
See if you can push the ejector down towards the bolt face and see if it springs back. It should be fairly hard to push down into the bolt.

If you want to pull it apart before you get the parts there should be a pin that needs to be drifted out, then the spring and ejector will come out and if there is any damage it should be evident.

You can reference the post that I made with the PDF for the bolt.

Reactions: Turbodude

El Serio

Feb 1, 2018
I had this problem on a Stevens .223 (same basic action as Savage). The problem on mine was that the bolt face opening was too large. I replaced the bolt head with a PTG, no more problem after that.