Savage 7mm mag model 110

Travisitguy

Sep 9, 2014
Bend, Oregon
I have a model 110 savage 7mm bought back in 1996 if I recall. This has been a really great rifle and has taken many animals. the one thing with this rifle that has always bothered me is the heavy pull of the trigger. I am considering either a replacement trigger with lighter pull or have a GS work on it. Another thing I want to tackle is the over all weight of the rifle and have thought about going to a synthetic stock or getting a higher quality wood stock. I appreciate everyones feed back.

Thanks
Travis

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I believe your trigger is adjustable. See the link below;

www.snipercountry.com/Articles/Savage110Trigger.asp

You could also install a Timney trigger yourself fairly easily. They are easy to install and easy to adjust to get the feel your looking for. I don't have any stock recommendation as I don't like to lighten my rifles. Keep in mind you will increase felt recoil as you reduce weight. This can have a negative impact on accuracy- negating anything you gain with a lighter trigger. I like my heavy guns but its just preference.

roknHS

Sep 25, 2014
North Idaho, Tick Fever Country
The Timney trigger would get you what you want......they aren't cheap.......probably North of $100 bucks.
I took a Remington model 7 and a Browning BLR to a gunsmith to have them smoothed and lightened this summer. He did a fantastic job on both.....3 lbs. or so.
The Remington was $35 dollars and the Browning BLR was $50 dollars.

I agree with Hilltop about taking pounds off.......I don't think you're going to like the recoil. 7's give you a good boot at factory weight. A feather weight will get your attention.

Last edited:

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Another vote for Timney. IF....and I say IF you decide to change stocks, one thing to consider. If you get a wooden stock (of better figure, etc.), it will surey be the same or a little heavier. A composite stock will be a little lighter. If you go to composite, make sure it has aluminum bedding.

Travisitguy

Sep 9, 2014
Bend, Oregon
I've looked into the Timiny trigger and I believe you are right regarding price being about $110-$125 although at last glance they had been out of stock. I have also heard my trigger is adjustable, the 1 shop I spoke to about that was reluctant to make any adjustments due to safety saying anything under 4lbs was unsafe for a hunting rifle.

the stock suggests are good to hear and yea the 7 packs a punch already so I wouldn't want to increase that. a nicer stock though would be cool.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I've looked into the Timiny trigger and I believe you are right regarding price being about $110-$125 although at last glance they had been out of stock. I have also heard my trigger is adjustable, the 1 shop I spoke to about that was reluctant to make any adjustments due to safety saying anything under 4lbs was unsafe for a hunting rifle.

the stock suggests are good to hear and yea the 7 packs a punch already so I wouldn't want to increase that. a nicer stock though would be cool.
While the weight of the trigger pull plays a big part, how the trigger breaks matters a lot. Two triggers that both break at 3.5 pounds may feel drastically different. I prefer a crisp break with no play in my trigger- installing a high quality after market trigger will give you that feel. I recommend trying to find someone in your area that has an aftermarket trigger on a gun to try. Your gun smith will likely have a rifle for you to try so you get the feel.

As far as safety goes, most gunsmiths will give you that disclaimer. Dig deeper and most of them like a crisp trigger set about 3 to 3.5 pounds themselves.

HiMtnHnter

Sep 28, 2012
Wyoming
While the weight of the trigger pull plays a big part, how the trigger breaks matters a lot. Two triggers that both break at 3.5 pounds may feel drastically different. I prefer a crisp break with no play in my trigger- installing a high quality after market trigger will give you that feel. I recommend trying to find someone in your area that has an aftermarket trigger on a gun to try. Your gun smith will likely have a rifle for you to try so you get the feel.

As far as safety goes, most gunsmiths will give you that disclaimer. Dig deeper and most of them like a crisp trigger set about 3 to 3.5 pounds themselves.
I have savage 110 in 30-06 I put a bell and Carlson stock on and epoxy bedded. You should be able to lighten the trigger a bit by adjusting the the screw and possibly by replacing the trigger spring with thinner gauge wire. I did this on a Steven model 200 in 7mm-08, which is essentially a savage 110. I replaced the trigger spring with a wire from a spinner bait. Trigger breaks just over 3 lbs. . . Just a matter of how much money you want to spend.

kcaves

Jun 3, 2011
wyoming
I had my trigger pull set on my remington 700 in 300 wsm set at 2 lbs with the factory trigger. Then the trigger was recalled and I put a timney on and it was set at 2 lbs and it makes a huge difference

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In God We Trust

Very Active Member
Mar 10, 2011
Colorado
Go to Stockies Stock's if you want a good deal on a stock. They have several brands with full beading blocks. That is where I purchased mine for my .300 WM. I have a Timney trigger on my rifle and I love it.

I'm another vote for the Timney. I changed all my goto hunting rifles with the Timneys and had them set at a clean, crisp, 48oz. Fantastic improvement over the factory triggers (Rem/Win). I also put a B&C medalist on a little .243 Rem Model 7. I think it is a great replacement stock with very good materials and workmanship.

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
the best thing I ever did to my rifles, was not the timmney trigger, but getting the stock to fit me. I am 6"1 and most stocks are to short. once I had the stock lengthened to fit me. wow, night and day difference. the trigger is nice too!. however lighter pull triggers do take some getting used to.