Sausage?

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
We made mule deer summer sausage this weekend. 14 lbs mule deer and 11 lbs pork butt. We use the seasoning from our favorite butcher in Texas. They sell us the amount we need per batch. You can buy the "same" mix made by Excalibur in their store but even the workers we know tell us to get the fresh mix of seasonings.Most butchers that make sausage will sell you their mix,
I even bought some brat seasoning in Jackson from the Buffalo Company there while on my bison hunt. Legg and Hi Mountain make great seasonings also. We like to use what we know we like. Follow the cure directions carefully if smoking your sausage.
It's pretty fun actually to make your own sausage, the clean up is a pain though.
We use our #22 grinder for grinding and stuffing our sausage, we stuff on the second grind. Been thinking seriously about getting a stuffer lately.

IMG_0317 (640x960).jpgDSCN1358 (960x720).jpg

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
We made mule deer summer sausage this weekend. 14 lbs mule deer and 11 lbs pork butt. We use the seasoning from our favorite butcher in Texas. They sell us the amount we need per batch. You can buy the "same" mix made by Excalibur in their store but even the workers we know tell us to get the fresh mix of seasonings.Most butchers that make sausage will sell you their mix,
I even bought some brat seasoning in Jackson from the Buffalo Company there while on my bison hunt. Legg and Hi Mountain make great seasonings also. We like to use what we know we like. Follow the cure directions carefully if smoking your sausage.
It's pretty fun actually to make your own sausage, the clean up is a pain though.
We use our #22 grinder for grinding and stuffing our sausage, we stuff on the second grind. Been thinking seriously about getting a stuffer lately.

View attachment 21019View attachment 21020
Is that a homemade smoker?

We bought a vertical crank stuffer. We replaced the hand crank with a 1/2" electric drill. It does OK. Main complaint is that it only holds about 9lb of meat. If we had to do it over again I think we would try out the dakotah stuffer. It works off of water pressure and a piston.

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
The smoker is a Yoder Durango.
Grinder works ok for stuffing summer sausage, german and brats are much easier for it to stuff. Haven't actually done it correctly yet by using the stuffing star instead of grinder knife, don't really want to run it through 3 times but may try it on the next batch.
A real stuffer is just supposed to be much faster from what I hear with better consistency and no voids.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
Stuffer is better than the grinder with our experience. plus guys can continue to grind while others are stuffing. The 9lb capacity just isn't big enough. As soon as you get on a roll your out of meat and have to reload. We do between 50-100 pounds per session so gets to be a pain. Would like to have a stuffer that can hold 25lbs which is the size of our mixer. And the more equipment you add the more cleanup you are adding. Yoder's are excellent. If our traeger ever gives out we will look into buying something like a Yoder.