Salomon Quest 4D II GTX Boots

BKHunter

Aug 27, 2015
New York
Thinking about buying these boots. Has anyone used them before? My concern is my feet getting cold and comfort. Thanks for any reviews.

BK

JohnyRingo

May 7, 2015
These are the most comfortable boot I have ever worn and I have gone through a bunch in pursuit of the perfect boot. It all depends on your feet though. I have a wide forefoot and a moderately high arch. I have had no issues with wet feet or cold feet. I took these on a 30 mile backpacking trip last summer with a 30-40 lb pack and they provided great ankle support. I use them for shed hunting in the spring, which includes a lot of miles and snow and mud. I used them for summer backpacking and I use them for archery elk hunting as they have a somewhat flexible sole. The only thing I don't like about them is that I don't think they are very durable when it comes to shed hunting in the spring when the snow is covering up logs and sage brush. There are a lot of seems and stitching that can get tore up from the timber and limbs. This is why I have switched to an all leather boot for shed hunting, but I will definitely be using them for summer and fall hiking. Campsaver has them on sale right now for 20% off and I get another 10% off with a coupon. I am probably going to get another pair for when the ones I have now are trashed.

B&C Blacktails

Mar 1, 2015
I had a pair of Solomon gtx boots. Best boot I've ever had, they were non insulated but my feet run hot. Never once had a wet foot. Meindl, kenetrek, danner and asolo all have been in deer camp my feet are the only ones not sitting by the fire drying out. Buy them!

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
Soft sole, no good for rocky ground.
Failed the water test.
Wouldn't buy another pair unless they were really cheap, like $50 cheap.

wapiti, what boots have you found that you recommend? and are you feeling the inside of boot up with water to test?

WapitiBob

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
Bend, Orygun
If my foot gets wet, I water test from outside or water from inside to make sure it's not sweat or from running down my sock. Depends on how bad I think the gore-tex is torn up from stretching and twisting of the boot. I talked to somebody at Gore a while back and was told I could test from inside or out and would see if the membrane was torn.
I have not yet found a boot that didn't leak with very little water on the outside when hiking or hunting. I wear liners and a merino sock, trim my nails down to skin, gators always, anything I can to keep the Gore-tex intact. I have also transitioned to a stiff sole. I don't know what else i can do, they all leaked. All in the toe box/fore foot hinge area. I wear size 13, maybe the boot/liner just stretches too much on a boot that length, who knows. I have 3 hunting partners that have Alaska's and theirs never leaked last year. My socks were wet in my Cevedale's hunting with them.

I bought some Hanwag Alaska last month. We'll see how they work. They're the first all leather boot I've had in 20 years.

Last edited:

Ricochet

Feb 1, 2012
Sherwood, Oregon
I have a pair of these boots. I hiked in the snow in January rabbit huntING this year and they were nice. I have a pair of kenetreks that are rough on my heals. These salomon are hopefully more comfortable after a long day of elk hunting this year.

Ricochet

Feb 1, 2012
Sherwood, Oregon
Ricochet, what do you mean by rough on your heels? Blisters? Slippage? God bless
The top of the heel cup rubs on my heel. There is slight slippage when climbing up hill and after a mile blisters start to happen. I have talked to kenetrek and they sent me new in soles. And I have tried different lacing techniques. I have had them going on three years.

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
I have wide fore feet with a narrow heel and moderate to high arch. The 4ds are the only boot I've worn that didn't give me some heel slippage. I have had no blisters. I have found traction to be very good, but the soft outsoles will get torn up in time over rocky terrain. Support is very good, even with very heavy loads, but I do think really big guys will need a stiffer boot. I am about 170 lbs.

Mine held watertight for nearly a year, but now leak a little. Every boot I have had leaked eventually.

These boots are built with running shoe technology, and like running shoes, will need replacement. The midsole breaks down with heavy use, and the large number of stitches are open to wear and tear. If you can handle replacing them every couple of years, I really think they are a good option.

luckynv

Aug 3, 2014
Henderson, Nv
Hey Ricochet, I also had issues with my heels, I talked to them at their booth at the RMEF show in Vegas a couple of years ago. They told me to send them in and get heel cups installed as I have very narrow heels, worked for me, not sure if that would help your situation. Sounds like you already have heel cups installed??? Good luck and God bless