Saddle Panniers

Barnesc6

Jan 9, 2017
Hey gents looking for a little input on saddle panniers. I’ve purchased a few that I plan to use to haul my camp/water in to some BLM this fall for a hunt. Plan on taking 120lbs of water (14 gallons). It’s my first time using saddle panniers so looking for some packing tips or best practices for hauling water as it shifts a lot. We’ll have a total of 3 horses... one horse to carry all 120lbs, split between the 3 horses? Thinking about using aquatainer (7gallon) to haul... any better water storage cans out there? Thanks

eastmont

Feb 28, 2014
This isn't quite what your asking but my quarter horse can drain a five gallon bucket after a hard day of work. Only 14 gallons for three horses plus people? Is this just a overnight trip?

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
This isn't quite what your asking but my quarter horse can drain a five gallon bucket after a hard day of work. Only 14 gallons for three horses plus people? Is this just a overnight trip?
Yes, I was thinking the same thing. One of the challenges with horses is that water must be available, one of the reasons that I was drawn to llamas.

Barnesc6

Jan 9, 2017

We aren’t keeping horses with us- no water sources. Literally packing our stuff in 5 miles then packing the horses back out. The 14 gallons of water are for us only

idcwby

Administrator
Jun 23, 2015
Idaho
One horse can haul the weight no problem. I’ve never hauled water before, my recommendation would be to make sure the containers are completely full, this will reduce the sloshing, and something that can take a hit and not break easily.

idcwby