S4 Gear Lockdown Binocular Harness

iamup

Feb 25, 2011
Redding, CA
I bought a S4 Gear Lockdown bino system and I am having a hard time getting it adjusted. The harness is riding up onto my neck and it is very uncomfortable. I don't want to get rid of it. It has a great design. Archery season is fast approaching. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to cure this problem?

BKC

Very Active Member
Feb 15, 2012
The high plains of Colorado
I have these and have only scouted with them. This fall will be my first hunt with them. I do notice they ride up a bit. I think with a heavy jacket on a cold hunt they would be fine. With only a lightweight shirt I notice the pressure on the back of my neck. I use a true fanny pack as I don't like much on my shouders. I am just going to sew a short strap on my fanny pack and put plastic clips ( 1/2 on s4 and 1/2 on short strap) and balance it out with the weight of the fanny pack. I love the setup!

betterthanwefoundit

Jun 2, 2012
Mine do the same thing but they are way better than my crooked horn binocular harnessees. I was thinking of putting like a suspender strap on the back of mine to attach to my pants. Fanny pack is also a good idea. this seems like an easy fix I am surprised s4 hasn't marketed it. Of course I have not tried it yet but I intend to.

sjsmallfield

Veteran member
Feb 22, 2011
Jackson, CA
I got one for Xmas this year and have noticed the same thing. Although it does ride up a bit I don't really feel that much pressure on my neck. I think with some adjusting it should be good to go for the fall.

Duk Dog

Feb 25, 2011
Same problem here. I haven't tried it yet, but may have found a fix. IMO the back strap is too long for my torso, which results in the strap riding high on the neck. I may look at shortening the height/length of the back strap - which in turn will bring it down off of the neck area. Not sure if that makes sense?

beav906

Apr 18, 2011
Bend, OR
I've had mine since they came out. Had the same problem. Later season hunts work dinner fine but during archery try to wear a collar or usually have a mock neck scent shirt and takes care of it

Jerry

Feb 21, 2011
Joseph Or
I've had a crooked horn since they came out and haven't had a problem. Maybe it's just because I always have a coat on when using them but haven't had an issue with riding on my neck. I wonder if the size of the binocular makes a difference because of the weight. I use only a light weight small glass on mine and use a spotter in my pack if need more!

betterthanwefoundit

Jun 2, 2012
Your exactly right jerry I do use a heavier bino and that extra weight makes a big difference. More pressure on the neck or riding too
Low on the belly. I am rather thin. Im sure your torso shape also affect how any binos ride
I still really like s4 and have a new pair of lightweight vortex viper hds on the way. Yay!

labman

Feb 3, 2012
Oklahoma City, OK
They have a new design that is coming out with a different back support straps. I have the old one as well but i am gong to try the new one when it comes out.

wapiti66

Aug 21, 2011
Kansas
Does the S4 bino system keep your binos from bouncing when you run? I have the crooked horns and they bounce bad when I run and if I jumpe a log/stream they will bounce up and about take out my front teeth if Im not holding them (really annoying). I have the rangefinder tether system from S4, and have been debating this bino system to see if I can run without having to hold my binos.

iamup

Feb 25, 2011
Redding, CA
Thanks everybody for your comments. I have thought of a stra p from the back of the harness to my pants. I will give it a try. It also probably wont be a factor if you had a jacket on. However, archery season for me starts in August so I will be wearing a t-shirt. Thanks again guys.

mtnkid85

Oct 17, 2011
I got excited when you guys stated they are updating these...
What a shame, they didnt redo the actual Bino case as well though. While I feel like my S4 is the best bino strap Ive used, the upper portion of the flap just BARELY covers enough of the glasses. If they just made it an inch wider, I would be fully satisfied.

I am using the size large with my 10x42 windrivers as well as my new 10x42 ELs.

tdub24

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2011
Carlin, NV
While I feel like my S4 is the best bino strap Ive used, the upper portion of the flap just BARELY covers enough of the glasses. If they just made it an inch wider, I would be fully satisfied.
I just took the plastic lens cover that came with my binos and put it on the ring so it is always there to cover the eye pieces before going back into the harness. Problem solved for me!

ronarnold

Mar 20, 2012
s4 lockdown

They have a new design that is coming out with a different back support straps. I have the old one as well but i am gong to try the new one when it comes out.
I have the old style s4 and was not to impressed at first,hard to adjust,some cheap components.It is somewhat uncomfortable when I'm lightly dressed,but not to bad when more layers are added.After hundreds of hours of wear,I would give it a thumbs down.I'm retired and live in great elk and mule deer right out my backdoor,so needless to say,my bino's are part of my attire almost daily.Sorry to say... I'm stuck with this mediocure bono system,but since s4 came out with their new system they did a good job....just my luck.

ridgeman

Jul 10, 2011
Northern California
Has anyone tried the new design yet after being disappointed with the original design?? I had the same problem with the original design you all had and after messing with the adjustments for a while and wearing it at the range, I was not happy with it and just put it back in the box and haven't used it since. Went back to the old crooked horn style.

But the new design looks like it may have cured that riding up on your neck deal. I just don't want to go out and lay out $55 and find it still has problems. All the early reviews on the original made it sound like it was THE solution, but as it started getting used,especially in the early season the issues started surfacing. But it looks like S4 was listening and fixed it. So does anyone have the new one and are you happy with it?

wapiti66

Aug 21, 2011
Kansas
I've been debatingon buying these, I'd like to see reviews also. I'm still using the crooked horns, but wish there was something better.