RV camping tips?

Doe Nob

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Taking a toy hauler into remote area of New Mexico in the middle of October for an elk hunt. The unit is mostly BLM and state but you can't stay on the state, so you move around a lot by truck and ATV.

I've not done much camping out of an RV before, what are some tips you recommend?

For example, I think a good one is get some carpet samples to use at the entrance, cuts down on dirt inside and gives you a place to take off your boots.

BOHNTR

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
Lakeside, AZ
A pallet is very beneficial for in front of your RV door to wipe your boots on, etc.........especially when wet weather comes. It allows you to get 'above' the muck. The carpet will be soaked.

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
Don't set up too close to someone who doesn't want to hear your generator. Most units with power set up kind of together up here and try to stay clear of the tent and non power campers. Check for standing dead trees too.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Check out the temperatures in the area where you plan on camping, you might want to have a dry trailer to keep things from freezing up. Even if it is good temperature wise take some extra water and keep in inside the trailer as a just in case type of thing.

A couple of smaller plastic tarps come in handy at times. No bigger than 12x12.

elvspec

Aug 20, 2015
Be sure you have spare wheel bearings and at least one spare tire, two would be better. I use a 10 X 12 piece of carpet under my canopy at the door. Just nice to not be sitting in dirt. Sweep it off and you can walk barefoot.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
During summer months I keep a rectangle dish pan by the steps to wash the dirt off my feet before going into my camper.

A quick disconnect off my propane tanks that connects to my portable BBQ with a hose makes it so I don't have to pack around those green tanks, it can also be used to supply a Buddy Heater

A solar battery tender positioned on top of the camper will help with keeping your batteries charged if you don't have hook ups.

ore hunter

Very Active Member
Jul 25, 2014
whell bearings are great idea,,i had to redo one of mine on the side of the freeway in Utah with people flying by me at 80 mph,,dangerous

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
On wheel bearings, I'll grease my trailer about every 2 years and check them before each use during the year. I'll also put my hands onto the hubs whenever I stop and do a walk around to make sure that everything is OK before continuing on my way.

I never have lost a wheel bearing doing this but I have found some that needed attention sooner than later.

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
You have got a lot of great advice both about camping and about preventing issues when pulling a trailer long distances. A couple more I'd add is that a 12V air compressor and plug kit can get you out of a bind. Magnetic tail lights can also. So can a serpentine belt for whatever you are pulling the trailer with. That last bit is getting less applicable as the space under the hood becomes more crowded and computerized, (they pull the cabs to work on trucks now days) but on older vehicles they can be life savers. Having a serpentine belt, break-over bar for the idler pulley, and a socket to fit the bar, would have saved me a lot of time on New Years Eve one year when the belt failed when nobody was open. Not a mistake I'll make again on a vehicle I can prevent that on.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I could go on and on about what you should have with you to save your trip. I have made over 100 trips to Baja since my first in the early 60's via jeep down Baja 1 before it was paved and really a 4whd trail. If a person is going to go camping with a tent or rv they need just a few basic things. Off roading changes the ball game completely. I could write a book about the things I have seen and have had happen...(there are several already out there!)

The big thing is making sure your equipment is in top condition and well maintained. Have a few of the basics eg. tools, a jack, spare tires, some safety eq like flares and be smart. Don't do anything stupid, if in doubt, don't do it.

I know this is really off the original point, but it needed to be added to what has already been said.

ore hunter

Very Active Member
Jul 25, 2014
on my deal last year,the wheel bearing cap popped off somewhere in Idaho and it wasn't long before I had issues,,not even 200 miles,so keep an extra wheel cap in the tool box