Ruger No 1 .300 Weatherby

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
That's going to be the fun thing with a new rifle, you have no idea if your loads that shot sub moa in that bolt action are going to even come close in that #1.

One thing that I have learned with the Ruger #1 is that you almost have to full length resize the cases just for the simple reason that the breach block just doesn't have the leverage that a bolt action has to get that cartridge into the chamber.

It's a bad time right now trying to find components to build a new load with. But at least CC has the base of what is needed when he pulls the old bullets.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I mounted the Leupold 4 x 14 VXIII on the new Ruger and boresighted it. Went to the range today, even tho it was pretty windy . Only fired 8 rounds total. Started at 25 yds to verify zero then moved to 100 yds. shot 4 rounds and quit because it was really blowing. My old load for the other .300 Wby shot well, but still need to shoot the new gun some more.372993730037301

memtb

Beautiful rifle and darn nice group!

I’ve always thought that the Ruger #1 was the most attractive factory firearm manufactured, with the Winchester Model 70 Featherweight a fairly close second! Though, I personally have never owned one....which is one of my many mistakes in life!

In fact, I have 2 Ruger #1 375 H&H’s in the family, owned by my cousins! The only time that I’ve shot a #1, was a 416 Rigby, owned by a friend. I was expecting pretty severe recoil as it wasn’t very heavy......but, felt considerably less than my hunting rifle! Pretty much a “kitty” (don’t want to be marked by the PC Police) cat! memtb

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
The story continues................

Went back to the range and the groups turned to crap. Couldn't really find anything wrong. I had tried 200 & 300 and moved my ballistic turret back to zero elevation and it slid past the stop. Stopped shooting and went home. I tried to remove the turret and reset it, but stripped the allen wrench as 2 of the set screws were stuck solid. After a lot of tries and using some penetrating solvent, got the turret back to it's original position. Bore sighted the scope.

Back to the range yesterday. et up to shoot 25 yards to start over. first round was exactly where I expected it to be. Moved target to 50 yards and one the second shot everything went to crap again. I was hitting the target everywhere, no grouping or pattern. I had now shot 23 rounds in the new Ruger. I tried to adjust the windage and found the scope was really loose! The 2 main knobs securing the scope to the base had backed out. retightened them and started shooting again and the groups started to get way better. Got a 1.5" group at 100 yards and decided that would do for this hunting season. Also rung the 12" steel at 200 & 300 yards.

I am still going to send the scope back to Leupold after elk season to let them work on it.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I have heard that the Leupold CDS dials are not the best out there but have never had a problem with mine. But then I usually just leave them on the 250 yard mark and leave them alone. The only animal that I have ever shot that I used the dials on was my coues buck. Did you try some loctite on the base screws?

I have always figured that the more that is added to a scope such as the adjustable turrets the more that can go wrong. But I have fallen into that trap also of purchasing them.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I am going to do some reloading today. I am going to try neck sizing some of the brass that has already been shot in the Ruger.

I also am going to do some tweeking on the screw holding the forend to the action. It is now tight, I will loosen it 1/4 turn and see if it effects the groups. Then probably one more 1/4.

Time for a little experimenting.

Reactions: JimP and Winchester

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I just finished watching the revue on the new Weatherby 2.0. It weighs with scope just over #8. I was curious how much my new Ruger #1B weighs. I weighed it with scope, mounts and muzzlebrake, #9 4 oz. I was pretty surprised that it was as light as it was.

Can't go to the range until maybe Saturday as we are having hunter sightin days prior to 2nd season. I did the forend screw adjustment, loosened it 1/4 turn to start. Need to burn some powder and send some lead downrange!

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Got the scope back from Leupold and remounted it, bore sighted and off to the range, probably next Monday. Get it sighted in and then I'll install the new ballistic turret Leupold made. Then I'll get to work at 200 yards and out to 500.

I'll be taking my chronograph to see what these loads are doing in the new gun.

Last edited: