Ruger No 1 .300 Weatherby

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Ruger's have always had nice wood on them.

The wood stalk is what sold me on my old model 77 7mm Rem mag that I picked up back in 1978

I think that you are going to like it.

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
The down side is none of my brass fit the new rifle. The new Ruger has a much tighter chamber. I am going to have to resize everything I have (including loaded ammo). I'll have to pull the bullets and full length size them all.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Do you have a collet puller or the old fashion hammer type?

When I found my light loads for my .340 a few months ago I pulled 40 rounds with the hammer style and it got old real quick.

The nice thing was that I didn't damage any of the bullets and I reused all the powder.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I had mine tight enough that I didn't have to worry about it falling off at anytime. Then I would tighten it 1/8 turn at a time and watched the groups improve until they started to open back up and I then backed it off.

Others have taken the fore end and lightly sanded some wood at the contact points on the barrel and breach area to get better groups

Last edited:
Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
CC

Will you FLR and fireform a few boxes of shells so you have a baseline to start from?

Or will you just fire one shell and then use that as your baseline and bump the shoulders back from there on the rest of your cases without fire forming?

+ 1 on the pretty women being temperamental....lol