Roasts?

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
Anyone have a recipe, or a process they like to use for cooking an elk roast that will be used to slice for sandwiches? Normally, any roasts I do are pot roast style, but I?d like to do one that?s cooked to medium rare and then sliced thin.

Not really sure where to start... cook it in a hot oven like you?d do a rib roast, and then let it sit in the fridge overnight, and slice the next day?
Curious if anyone ever does this..

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Marinate in Dales
Coat with a heavy layer of Montreal seasonings
Hot cast iron skillet to braise it on each side
Same cast iron skillet into the oven at 425 until temp probe reads what u want minus 15 degrees
Out of the oven, wrap only the roast in foil and let it set on the counter for an hour/room temp
Fridge over night
Slice thin
Serve on a crusty French bread roll with a sour creme /horseradish mix sauce

And now I'm hungry

Last edited:

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
Boom Slugz. That's what I'm talking about. That was probably gonna be my plan for the most part. Do you have a preferred finished temp that you shoot for?
Thinking more about this, anyone ever smoke one to temp, and then sear it at the end?

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
I pull mine at 135F.

Searing or braising at high temp is done usually to lock in the moisture and juice with high hot temp. Kinda like burning the edges.

I think if you would get the meat to med rare temp on the smoker then try and sear it it may over cook and actually maybe draw the juices outward. Not sure on that though just my thoughts.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I have a buddy that vacuum seals them with a sprinkle of beef bouillon cube.

Then boils them in hot water for an hour or so depending on the size of the roast. Then he lets it fully cool for 2 days in the refrigerator and then slices it on a food slicer.

Its just like roast beef.

6mm Remington

Very Active Member
Mar 27, 2011
Western Montana
I have done a couple roasts in my new Masterbuilt 40" electric smoker and they turned out great. I like to use Montreal seasonings or similar seasonings to coat the outside of the roast and let it sit in the fridge overnight. You can braise it in a pan on med-high heat before putting it in the smoker but you don't necessarily have to. I smoke them at 225 until the internal temperature hits 130-135. Take the roast out and let it sit wrapped in tin foil for about 20 minutes. Slice it thin. Medium rare is the way to go.

You can get so many different variations of flavors using different woods and it's fun to experiment. Apple is good, Hickory is good, maple is good. Each has a different taste and you can experiment on how much of a smoky flavor you want also by changing up how often you put some fresh chips on the roast while it's smoking.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
We slow cook in the crock pot pretty regularly. Wife has a seasoning cocktail she makes and the right amount of water and beef broth makes it awesome!

LCH

Very Active Member
Jun 28, 2015
Southern Indiana
This thread inspired me. I've got a mule deer roast in the oven now. I salted, peppered, added Montreal steak seasoning, and wrapped in bacon. Going to pull it out at around 130-135*.

LCH

Very Active Member
Jun 28, 2015
Southern Indiana
Sounds good LCH!
It was pretty good! I accidentally let it cook to 140 though, then wrapped it in foil and let it sit for 20 minutes before slicing. It was just a light pink in the center. Wife still thought it was undercooked, I thought it was a bit overcooked, but it tasted good nonetheless.

Paired it with bacon wrapped shrimp for surf-n-turf, seasoned/roasted broccoli on the side.

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
a good sandwich recipe is this.
put whatever game meat you got in the crock pot. Can of light beer, 2 brown gravy mix pouches, an au jus pack, and an onion soup mix pack, lots of jarred garlic. let cook for about 8 hours, break into chunks and serve on a good roll with horseradish. I have made this with about 7 different species and it comes out good.

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
Circling back on this... I took a 2 pound elk roast and heavily seasoned the exterior with salt, pepper, paprika, garlic and minced onion. Seared it on all sides, and set my grill to 400, and cooked it in the cast iron skillet until the internal temp read 118. I took it off, rested it for an hour or so, where it came up to a finished temp of 125. Wrapped it up tight, and put it in the fridge to let it finish setting up.
Ate it for lunch today. Was really pleased with how well it sliced on my slicer, I was able to get some very thin slices on it.

I think my next go round, I'll sear, and then finish on the smoker for a while. I think in a perfect world, the roast would be 2-3 degrees more done. I know I can hit that right on the mark in the smoker.

Triple BB

Jun 22, 2013
Wyoming
After searing my roasts, I cook whatever size roast it is to an internal temp of 125, same as prime rib and let it sit. Almost always comes out medium rare. If you cook to 120, let it cool and slice extra thin, then dip a tong full of meat in boiling Au Jus, you'll have a mean French Dip...

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
Fink 125' is good for me,rest of the family thinks It's raw.Cooling it to let it set is the secret.Yuummy!:cool:
I mean, it’s pretty raw! Good thing me and the little guy like it that way!
Tomorrow morning it’s going in a breakfast skillet with potatoes, onion, green pepper and an over easy egg. Breakfast of champions!

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cyskqnp1j64

Here's another for you varsity level chefs trying for your Michelin Star.......works well also to impress a lady.
Elk tenderloin in place of the beef.

Some keys to success.
1) trim your elk tenderloin to 10-12 inches in order to maintain an even size
2) the fridge time lets it all set correctly in between steps so dont skimp on it
3) knife to cut needs to be razor sharp and thin like a fillet knife
4) make an extra one for your self the next day. Slice a piece and into a small roaster over to broil/heat it with a piece of cheese on it

Bon appetit

Last edited:

LCH

Very Active Member
Jun 28, 2015
Southern Indiana
I did a whole rear leg from a whitetail doe in the smoker last weekend. I seasoned with salt, pepper, and Montreal seasoning, and smoked at 220* using hickory for about 6 hours. It turned out fine, I've eaten about half of it since then and frozen the other half for later use.

The first half I ate either alone with a little bbq sauce, or cut up to top salads, or sliced as thin as I could with a kitchen knife and wrapped with romaine lettuce and cream cheese. The 2nd half I'll probably bring to work, should get me a week's worth of lunches.

One thing I still need to improve upon is watching the temp, each one I've done has been a little overcooked IMO. It seems like the larger the roast, the more it will cook internally after removing from the oven or smoker.

Horniac

Jul 14, 2011
NorCal
Great inspiration guys and lots of great ideas/recipes!

I smoked an elk leg roast tonight as follows;

1. Marinated overnight with a rub made from Montreal Steak Seasoning, Worchestire Sauce, & Gotcha Garlic Seasoning
2. The Elk leg roast weighed 2.65# and was wrapped with with butcher?s netting
3. Used Jaccard tenderizer on roast after taking out of fridge
4. Let the roast stand at room temp for 1/2 hour before putting in the Cookshack smoker
5. Set probe to a temperature of 133? and smoker to 225?
6. Used 2 oz of cherry and 2 oz of hickory wood
7. Started smoker with the ambient air temp at 55?
8. At 1 1/2 hours roast was at 123? with an outside temp of 53?
9. Done at 2 hours
10. Wrapped in foil for 15 minutes before slicing
11. Slice and enjoy!

It was the perfect doneness for me but I am going to smoke another couple on New Year?s Eve for some nonhunting friends and family so I might raise my probe temp another couple of degrees to 135?.

Horniac

Attachments