Road conditions Oct-Nov Wy range.

swmoelk

Apr 8, 2014
I was wondering how late some of the major forest roads are passible in the fall. My wife has a hunt in November off of paved roads that are maintained so I'm not worried about that,but I was thinking about going out the week before on a leftover cow tag. I called the forest service to ask if a certain road would be passible with my horse trailer. She said probably not but then she gave me ALOT of mixed information that left me confused and wondering if she understood my question. I realize that snow is possible anytime from Sept on but as a general rule when does it get to be a problem? This is western Wyoming. On the eastern edge of the wy range.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I have needed snowmobiles in September on some years and had other years where a 2wd car could go just about anywhere in December... Most mountain ranges in Wyoming experience moderate to heavy snow by the end of October on normal years but it truly is a guess from year to year. Have backup plans is my best advice.

swmoelk

Apr 8, 2014
Thanks ,that's the attitude I'm going to take out there. Hopefully I will at least be able to get to some public ground even if I just ride my mules and camp a few days . From what I've seen and heard the cows could be anywhere from top to bottom by then so I will just put the miles in the saddle until I find the elk or snow pushes me out.