Rifle Slings

gman1

Nov 29, 2011
North Dakota
Need help from the members on what kind of rifle sling I should purchase? Just bought a Browning x bolt 270 and the more I look at all the slings the more this ol cowboy gets confused :)
Happy Trails,
Gman

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
I think you start with type as your first choice. You can get elastic/stretchy ones or ones that have no stretch (leather, etc.). Personally, I like a little give in my sling. It's so much more comfortable after hiking all day with it if it has some cushion.

I use the Allen Yukon neoprene sling straight off Amazon. I have them on three of my rifles now and love them.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I like the old leather military type of sling but on a lot of my rifles I have just gone to a simple 1" - 1 1/4" nylon one.

I am still old school and like to wrap my arm around the sling to get a sturdier grip on the rifle when I am shooting either standing or sitting.

OldGuy123

Oct 22, 2018
Aside from Amazon and eBay, I visit other places for my hunting gear. just purchased a Ruger Precision Rifle in .308 and am looking to add a scope since the rifle comes without iron sights. I've been told that Nikon has a lot of good rifle scopes to allow 600-1000 yard shots but am willing to listen to details on second vs first focal plane, Bullet drop Compensation details, etc. Price is a factor. Older eyes often have a difficult, if not impossible time trying to switch their focus from a rear sight to a front sight to a target as required without a scope, and it's frustrating, to say the least.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com

William B. Wallace

Apr 6, 2022
This device is primarily a night vision device. If you're looking for a high resolution day optic, look elsewhere. That said, they work very well during the daytime, just not state-of-the-art video. And, that's what this is, a digital video camera. It's really a binocular / monocular in that, only one of the front lenses is really a lens. The other is an IR illuminator, and a very powerful one. With zero moonlight, I can see 250 yds + at night. My primary use is night hog hunting and I find them much more comfortable to use than NV monoculars, which seriously night-blind one eye. These will still night-blind you somewhat, but with 15 brightness levels, it's not as much an issue. The zoom is a DIGITAL zoom, not optical. Hence, as you zoom in, the image degrades, just like a digital camera. Limitations: ALL digital NV devices need IR illumination or lots of moonlight to work. The built-in IR is a good one. They also won't work in fog, mist or heavy rain. That's just the nature of the beast with digital NV. The image IS somewhat "grainy", but not problematically so. The image is superior to Gen 1 or Gen 2 NV, both of which I own. As a night scanning device, these work GREAT if you refrain from using cheap batteries. Buy quality lithium batteries or quality rechargeables (like Panasonic) and you'll "rule the night." If your usual viewing distance is < 100 yds, consider the 2X version, as the field of view is wider.

Last edited:

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015

this guys commercials always freaked me out. Looks like a serial killer. Lol

always wondered how his slings worked though!

Slogan rifle slings.

sneakypete

Veteran member
Aug 9, 2011
Oakdale Ca.
I got away from using a sling because it kept slipping off my pack. I went to mystery ranch hands free sling. Beat move ever I did, especially when using trekking poles.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
View attachment 40887

this guys commercials always freaked me out. Looks like a serial killer. Lol

always wondered how his slings worked though!

Slogan rifle slings.
I have a couple slings that are similar to this. They are rubber and grip well and have some give. I bought them at a gun show 20 years ago, can't even remember the brand but I really like them.