Rifle Slings

gman1

Nov 29, 2011
North Dakota
Need help from the members on what kind of rifle sling I should purchase? Just bought a Browning x bolt 270 and the more I look at all the slings the more this ol cowboy gets confused :)
Happy Trails,
Gman

taskswap

Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
I think you start with type as your first choice. You can get elastic/stretchy ones or ones that have no stretch (leather, etc.). Personally, I like a little give in my sling. It's so much more comfortable after hiking all day with it if it has some cushion.

I use the Allen Yukon neoprene sling straight off Amazon. I have them on three of my rifles now and love them.

JimP

Veteran member
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I like the old leather military type of sling but on a lot of my rifles I have just gone to a simple 1" - 1 1/4" nylon one.

I am still old school and like to wrap my arm around the sling to get a sturdier grip on the rifle when I am shooting either standing or sitting.

OldGuy123

Oct 22, 2018
Aside from Amazon and eBay, I visit other places for my hunting gear. just purchased a Ruger Precision Rifle in .308 and am looking to add a scope since the rifle comes without iron sights. I've been told that Nikon has a lot of good rifle scopes to allow 600-1000 yard shots but am willing to listen to details on second vs first focal plane, Bullet drop Compensation details, etc. Price is a factor. Older eyes often have a difficult, if not impossible time trying to switch their focus from a rear sight to a front sight to a target as required without a scope, and it's frustrating, to say the least.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com