Rifle scope decision 🤔

coach11569

Dec 28, 2021
Going to buy a rifle scope in the next day or so and would appreciate some feedback. Have my choices narrowed down between the Leupold VX 3 HD and Meopta meopro. Anyone have both or experience with either? Light transmission is probably my biggest concern. Thanks for any advice in advance.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I'll vouch for the Leopold.

As for light gathering you want a minimum 40mm objective lens, but you would never notice the difference between a 40mm and a 50mm lens.

Reactions: DH56 and Winchester

badgerbob

May 18, 2015
Eastern Oregon
I have two VX lll s from the early 80s. one had to be rebuilt in 97 but was treated like a king during the process, which only took three days. These scopes have never lost their zero....one is on a 300 win mag and other is on a 25/06. shoot a few rounds each year to check zero but have not had to adjust in all of these years. Just mounted, sight in and hunt...swear by them.

DH56

Jan 17, 2014
Northern, Ohio
Leupold- Have used them for over 35 years. Like someone said above, the bigger objective the more light gathering. I have a couple that have 50 mm objectives that have done real well in low light conditions.

Reactions: coach11569

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
I'm gonna say Meopro.

I bought a VX3i a few years back and it was nice but did not hold a group like a VX2 does. - my 3006 is dialed and shoots an inch at 250 yards. The VX3i shot 2.5-3 inches. Swapped it off an put the VX2 back on and it shoots 1 inch again. Then the Leupold custom shop was shut down for > a year and I decided to write them off - sold it and haven't looked back. They used to be "the name".

I'd buy Meopta, Swaro, Zeiss, and a few others before I'd buy Leupold again. Of course, maybe there will be a really good sale and I'll get another Leupy. I dunno. My VX2 is an excellent scope for how I use em.

The last scope I bought was a V Diamondback and put a simple BDC on a 350 Legend bolt. Not a bad scope - works for the majority of what my hunting is.

Reactions: coach11569

About Eastmans'

• Eastmans’ is a three generation media based hunting company whose goal is to promote the pursuit of elk hunting, deer hunting and all western big game. Our mission is to educate and entertain along the lines of bowhunting and rifle hunting to provide sportsmen with the most up-to-date tactics, hunting gear and hunting area research for both archery hunting and rifle hunting in the West.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Follow us on Facebook