Resident Prefernce Points

HayHay98

May 22, 2012
Wyoming
All,

Please see link below. Looks like there has been some modification to allow for youth/immediate family to apply with applicants that have more preference points to help this situation. Should start some dialogue, positive and negative.

I am for a preference point system for WY residents for elk, deer, and antelope. There are valid points both for and against and I've listened and continue to listen to both sides. As some of you know, I've been extremely lucky through both preference point drawings (sheep) and random drawings (mtn goat). I've not had the best of luck for elk, deer, or antelope but have had some great opportunities. However, it is my hope, that our state agencies manage for quality herds, full carrying capacities, and provide the best possible habitat for our animals and that helps all of us win with more tags for all areas of this great state.

Can't wait to read all of the comments on this one. Good luck to all of the NR elk applicants!

http://legisweb.state.wy.us/2014/Introduced/SF0094.pdf

Alabama

Veteran member
Feb 18, 2013
Sweet Home Alabama
I'm all for residents getting a point system for antelope, deer, and elk. But the provision about family members qualifying for the max number of points in a group is BEYOND STUPID! It will put an unknown number of people in every point category. It will set the point system up for people to exploit while cheapening the value of points for those who go at it alone. I understand that people love to hunt with family, and that is great. It doesn't require everyone to have a tag. Or they can apply for a lesser unit and all draw together if the points were rounded or averaged like they should be.

HayHay98

May 22, 2012
Wyoming
I have heard rumors of a revision coming to the bill specifying members are to be youth only 12-17 years old and also that the allocation go to 50% preference point, 50% random for the resident pool.

I have young kids and I can appreciate a lot of the concern for youth. I'm also of the opinion that its time to allow residents of this state some sort of preference point system for these species.

libidilatimmy

Veteran member
Oct 22, 2013
Wyoming
Talk about devaluing points that you've accumulated. This will only make the point creep issue worse for the trophy species. Take the number of max point holders and multiply by 3. This is again a futile attempt by this Hicks to manipulate the system set forth as is to his own benefit.

I really see nothing wrong with having the straight random draw for antelope, deer, and elk. Sure we will all go through dry spells when it comes to drawing tags in this system, but I'd rather have at least a chance of drawing good areas each year and not have to wait for one chance per decade.

AT Hiker

Very Active Member
Aug 2, 2012
Tennessee
How's that wapitibob?
I think he is talking about point creep. Basically if you dont build points quickly you will be SOL in the years to come.

Is there really a need for WY points on elk, deer, and antelope? From the outside it seems OK and actually about as even as if you had points (except some areas would be harder to draw).

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
IMO points are good if it takes 5 or so and doesnt creep much but when it gets more then that and keeps creeping every year I think a strait random draw is the best. Seems to me the WY residents that had a hunting license or applied the last few years should be the ones voting on it.

Triple BB

Jun 22, 2013
Wyoming
Didn't realize Colorado gave out 50% of their limited quota tags via random draw.

Be surprised if it passes this year, but some version of it will be back every year until it passes...

Drelk

Jul 25, 2011
I'm very leery.

It appears by allowing a party to apply and using the participant with the highest number of points to dictate which preference point pool the applicants are entered in opens doors for sketchy behavior.

I'm all for increasing hunting opportunities in quality areas for youth hunters. My children are 16,13, and 8.

I'm not convinced this bill is worded to allow solely youth hunters an increased opportunity.

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
Preference points are great for the guys that get in the first cpl years. Ten years from now a new crew will be crying for a change.
WapitiBob, you must be lucky. A non-resident with max points has a better chance to draw a tag than a resident in hard to draw areas. What are we talking for max points, 8? I've been applying for deer & antelope & elk for 30 years and still don't have much of a chance in those hard to draw areas.

Guy

Eastmans' Staff
Staff member
Feb 21, 2011
I am one of those that hopes the state does not go to a preference point system for us residents. In doing the math and the calculations, our chances of drawing a tag are pretty darn good with the exception of only a few areas. Mathematically speaking the point system would be nearly pointless. Look at what it has done to CO. Can you imagine accumulating over 20-points in your own state? Personally, I think if an area has draw odds of less than 20% if you get a tag as a resident you should have to sit out of that specie draw for two years. That would eliminate much of the problem they have now.

Both the G&F and I know that resident points are coming down the pipe, they are just hoping to not have to do it for another 5-10 years yet. But, they may need the money before then. This could be one way, they get more for resident tags, think about it, if they charge you $14 for each specie for points, that's another $42.00 for each one of us each year, and they don't have to give out a single additional tag for that revenue. It's coming guys. I hate to say, it but it's coming.

As for sheep, they point creep for residents is getting out of control. I tried to get them to let me apply as a nonresident, but they said no way in hell on that deal. A non-resident hunter can cut at least two or three points off what a resident takes to draw for sheep and moose. The system is not working for us. I hate to say this, but they need to increase the cost of sheep and moose tags for residents up to about $500. Too many guys are putting everyone they know if for sheep and moose tags, some of them don't even care about hunting and it dilutes the odds for the rest of us. There are at least 20 residents each year with sheep and moose tags that don't even hunt with their tag...wives, sons, daughters, kids and neighbors who are put in by guys just to see if they can draw a tag, and then come to find out they don't even want to go once the tag is drawn. The $500 cost would solve that problem. In addition sheep and moose should be a once in a lifetime tag in WY, if you punch your tag. If you draw and don't fill the tag you can wait the five years and then try again. This isn't 1957 anymore, and Wyoming doesn't have a population of 250,000 people anymore.

There's my 2 cents about the situation. Where am I going wrong?

G-

Guy

Eastmans' Staff
Staff member
Feb 21, 2011
I believe, even if it passes it will have to go through the commission and a comment period. But don't quote me on that.

G-

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
If I was a Wy resident I would be all for the waiting period after drawing. I think the Idaho 1 year waiting period works well and gives everyone that didnt draw the year before a better chance to draw.

Work2hunt

Veteran member
Mar 2, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Personally, I think if an area has draw odds of less than 20% if you get a tag as a resident you should have to sit out of that specie draw for two years. That would eliminate much of the problem they have now.
G-
+1. Obviously I don't live in Wyoming, but I've participated in a couple draws where once you draw you can't draw for a certain period of time afterwards. This seems the most fair to try and spread out the wealth as I know some people seem to be the luckiest people on earth and might draw a certain permit more often then others.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
This is a kinda off the wall idea I had. Have a 1 or 2 point bonus point system. Everyone that doesnt draw gets 1 point and next year they would be entered in the drawing 2 times. If they didnt draw that time they would get 1 more point and be entered 3 times the next year, but that year their points would go back to zero weather they drew or not. It could also be done with a 1 point limit. That way it would still be pretty much a random draw but give everyone that didnt draw the year or 2 before a better chance to draw and not let points get out of control. This could also be combined with a waiting period after drawing or simply separating everyone that drew the year before into a separate pool that would draw only after everyone that didnt draw the year before was drawn.

Last edited:

Guy

Eastmans' Staff
Staff member
Feb 21, 2011
Good ideas. I think, if WY does go to a point system for residents, they should just keep it simple like NV does, and just square your points so if you have three points your name goes into the draw nine times. Pretty simple and straight forward. Then the guys who have no points don't get totally screwed. I do also think residents should have to choose between limited quota and general for deer and you can't do both. This would take some of the pressure of the general areas like G and H. I have heard that the G&F is looking at making the residents choose ahead of time which general region they want to hunt for deer at the time of purchase. This might also help the general deer areas.

G-