Removing Elk Tenderloins the Gutless Method

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I won't eat the vitals , so that has no bearing for me. I just never really found elk that hard to gut. it is only about a ten or so minute job. if I were gonna have to quarter it to get it out anyway , I MIGHT try the gutless method. I guess for those who is askeart of a little blood, it might be a good option. otherwise I don't see much benefit .

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
I have never gutted an elk after over 20 harvests. Doesn't make sense when u are way back in there, gutless, debone, throw it on the back
Kinda the same here.
1) location
2) time of day
3) temp
4) size of animal killed
5) pack animals in camp or not
6) age of the group at main camp

Those six are the items that dictate my plan. More times than not I quarter and hang. Debone what I can take out the first trip, then repeat until its out.

Reactions: CODAK and DRUSS

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I won't eat the vitals , so that has no bearing for me. I just never really found elk that hard to gut. it is only about a ten or so minute job. if I were gonna have to quarter it to get it out anyway , I MIGHT try the gutless method. I guess for those who is askeart of a little blood, it might be a good option. otherwise I don't see much benefit .
In grizzly country, breaking it down gutless is great. Yes, we will always get blood on us but it limits how much which i really appreciate when dealing with those big hairy mountain gorillas.

Reactions: kidoggy

Mule3006Elk

Jul 3, 2013
Pretty tough getting a heart dinner without gutting the animal
It's very easy. I cut one rib at the costal cartilage. Remove or pull on the rib thus expanding the intercostal space. Reach in, grab the heart, cut the great vessels (aortic arch, etc.), and pull the heart right out. Only takes a few minutes.

BrandonM

Nov 9, 2011
Don't forget the liver.

I have found that it is just as easy to just gut the animal and then butcher it. I also like to take the ribs out also
I have friends that love those internal organs...me, not so much. I have a respected mechanic friend that said he won't eat them because mechanics won't eat pumps and filters....hahahahaha!

In all seriousness, even though I'm not a fan of liver or heart, when Guy and I were in Canada hunting caribou one year, the head guide cooked up the heart some special way and it was phenomenal!! I've tried to replicate it but can't figure it out.

Mule3006Elk

Jul 3, 2013
I have friends that love those internal organs...me, not so much. I have a respected mechanic friend that said he won't eat them because mechanics won't eat pumps and filters....hahahahaha!

In all seriousness, even though I'm not a fan of liver or heart, when Guy and I were in Canada hunting caribou one year, the head guide cooked up the heart some special way and it was phenomenal!! I've tried to replicate it but can't figure it out.
Steve Rinella has a good heart taco recipe. You can find it online. Slow cook the heart (diced cubes) with onions, olive oil, chili powder, etc. I look forward to it every year.

BrandonM

Nov 9, 2011
Steve Rinella has a good heart taco recipe. You can find it online. Slow cook the heart (diced cubes) with onions, olive oil, chili powder, etc. I look forward to it every year.
Sweet! That sounds like something I have to try.