Remington Corelokt

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
The snows finally melted, the chores are caught up, and the weather was right to do some shooting. I have a 200 yard range on my property, and no neighbors to disturb (lucky me). I hadn't reloaded for years, but this winter worked up some loads for my 30-06 with the plan to find a sweet shooting reload. I had tried a variety of factory ammo in my Tikka SS Lite. It shoots well, but not the sub MOA that I was hoping for. I've taken 3 deer so far with it, and plan to use it for WY mule deer and antelope this year. Anyway, my loads were IMR4064, 48.5gr.
and up to the max 50.5gr in .5 gr increments. Using Barnes 168 gr TTSX bullets. I had lost a diffuser rod on the chronograph, and when the sun came out began to get unreliable readings. Groups were 1" - 1 1/2". So, to test the chrono, I shot some 165 gr Remington Corelokts that I knew were around 2800 fps. 100 yds., 5 shots, one ragged hole. Repeat, repeat.
My question is about the Corelokt bullet. They have been dissed some on this fourm, and I do like to use premium bullets, but have managed to kill a lot of deer over the years using them. A WY outfitter I have hunted with swears by them. I can buy a box for less than I can reload for with premium bullets. My inclination is to go with the Remingtons; I will do more shooting through the summer, but for today it was the most accurate 15 shot string I have ever done.
Comments from the pros are appreciated.

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
I'm far from being a "pro" but I'll give you my .02 worth. I've had both these rifles since the early 80's so here are a few observations.
I shoot a 7mm mag and occasionally my wife's .270. I use Remington corelokt pretty much exclusivley. I bought a box of premium loads when I drew a bull elk tag here in NV but I have since found they were not neccesary. The corelokt bullets are very accurate in both rifles. We have shot countless deer and several antelope with both rifles and have never lost an animal or had a bullet failure. The few bullets recovered showed perfect expansion and weight retention. I have shot 2 cow elk and was with my brother when he shot his bull using a 30-06 with corelokt bullets and they always worked perfectly.

I don't shoot long range, 416 yards is the farthest I have ever shot an animal it was an antelope. Most of our shots have been between 100 and 350 yards so I can't really comment on how they would work at really long range.

Last edited:

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Thanks for the quick response. I have a Shepard scope with what was likely the first BDC system, so would prefer to find one load for everything that I plan to shoot with it. That's why I picked the 165gr instead of 150 or 180. I have a .338 for elk, so deer would be the largest critter. I will play with it some more and find my comfort range.

ore hunter

Very Active Member
Jul 25, 2014
I have had very good luck with core locts shooting good out of my 7mm and my .243 with good grouping at 250 yrds and under.

sneakypete

Veteran member
Aug 9, 2011
Oakdale Ca.
I have used them for years in both of my 7mm, and with natures help I'll take a moose and a couple of bull elk this year with them. I very also take many nice hogs with them and have retrieved them out of them pretty much intact!

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
At 30-06 velocities, they will work very well. Had a 06 that shot the 165's very well, they killed very quick up to and including Elk.

gonhunting247

Veteran member
Jan 21, 2014
Every big game animal that I've killed with a high power rifle was shot with a 180 grain Core-lokt bullet. Most with my 30.06, quite a few with my .300 RUM and one with my .338 Win Mag. Animals included moose, elk, deer, sheep, bear, caribou, goat and antelope. IMO they work great! For the price, I don't see me changing, unless some day down the road we are not able to shoot lead. All 3 guns seem to really like them as far as accuracy too!

Last edited:

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
I have been shooting Core-Lokts for alot of years and with decent bullet placement I have never not had a quick 1 shot kill. I have hunted with them in 243 Win, 270 Win, and 30-30 Win and they have never let me down. There was an Eastmans billet review a year or so ago and the Core-Lokt held its own next to alot of much more expensive bullets. IMO if a Core-Lokt wont kill it neither will anything else!

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Thanks guys, any reservation I had have been removed. The rifle is only 5.8# w/o scope, and I love it for backpack hunts. My elk hunts are guided, so I don't mind letting the horse carry my .338. I trained to shoot up to 500 yards with a peep sight in the Marine Corps, but in the field usually managed to get close enough for a bow shot. My three 6x6 elk were all spotted miles away and were shot at under 60 yards. This is my first antelope hunt, so I expect a longer shot at a smaller target. Ya gotta love a gun that shoots; I was almost giddy afterwords.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
My best group ever was with factory Core-Lokts. I shot just under 1.5" three shot group at 300 yards. I do feel they fly a little slower than some of the premium loads so that may be why a lot of rifles shoot them well. My only reasoning behind this is the difference in impact between Core Lokt factory and other premium loads. We used to use them to sight in and then switched to the premium stuff to fine tune before our hunts. The premium stuff always hit higher- some times 12+" higher at 200 yards. We have taken many big game animals including a gob of elk with them- no issues at anything inside of 300 yards.

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
I reload for all my rifles. I don't use Core-Lokts, but a number of hunters I know do. Years ago..like 25-30 years ago, I heard more guys swear at them than by them. They shed their cores pretty easily. Although I hear now that Remington redesigned them some time ago, that is no longer a problem. If they shoot that well in your gun then use them. I never try to save a buck by scrimping on bullets myself. Quality always costs more.

xtreme

Very Active Member
Feb 25, 2011
Searcy, Arkansas 72143
I agree with Swampokie, and if I was hunting close range or timber this is still my go to bullet. It is just a little more exciting to use the Bergers at long range. I read a test about effective bullets and the Core-lokts won.