Reducing scam posting

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
Scott, Most people don't realize how difficult these spammers can be. I was a moderator for years on Arkansashunting .net a very large site. I left the site when the local owners sold the site to a group out of Texas. The new owners were only concerned with post count, stream adds, and not content. They allowed problem posters we had banned back on to the site. When we selected new moderators we would look at the time of day they were on the site. We covered almost all hours of the day. We caught most spam before it was viewed and used the ban button. We looked at IP address before giving posting.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
We are doing the same as far as trying to get coverage all hrs of the day.
I try to remove most 3-4 am before most guys see the bulk of the spam. Sometimes I miss it but I do my best to do this every morning. We have added a couple more MODs to help mornings and through the day. Most days I’m on the forum 20-30 times daily myself checking just for spam and doing the other things I do here.
As far as I’m concerned once your ban you’re not coming back to this forum.
We also will bring on a couple more Mods to help with the spam but we prefer to have guys that have experience in the Mod game but mostly that we trust.
As you know with what you’ve said the spam is insane and can be difficult to keep up with at times.
Scott is looking at other ways to keep the spammers from blowing us up and will implement that plan when he gets that figured out.

Thanks everyone for understanding and most do.

Reactions: JimP

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Hey all, It's appreciated. Just so everyone knows, i have had 2 more members ask about becoming mods, as soon as they agree we will add them.

My developer and I have now added 3 more layers for the membership process to hopefully catch spammers. They are a challenge, and with how war is now conducted, looking at you Russia, it has gotten to the point where I may even add a couple more layers of verification if it continues.

All that said, we have a really well behaved group of guys here who can even get along while disagreeing. Luke and I have some specific forum only giveaways planned and we will be doing a few more updates to keep this looking great on mobile.

Thanks!