Red Setter''s

Don Fischer

Jul 20, 2020
Great looking dogs... killed my first rooster over a big old red setter named Jim... he was a true hunter in a time when the hunt was largely bred out of them and he was named after Jim Kjelgaard, the author of Big Red.
I knew nothing about this breed till I went and judged an Irish field trial years ago, Amer Fld trial. Wasn't thinking I'd see much but the first dog I saw later became my Stormy's dad. Second Red I saw blew the entire field away with the best run I've ever seen in any format, she became Stormy's mom.

Did some reading up and seem's that in the early 1950's a group of irish Setter people got tired of what was happening to the breed as a hunting dog. They got together and found the best female they could find and crossed it with a son of 1946 Nat Ch Mississippi Zev. The rest is history! Down the road with the records they kept Amer Fld and AKC accepted them as Irish Setter's but you look at a show Irish next to one of these and it become's immediately obvious they have little in common. My Stormy is 48# at six yrs and has never had a haircut except with scissors and them just a trim. Weighed Sis a while back and on the vet scale she's 40#. She's never had even a trim.

This was interesting to me as at one time I though I knew all the sporting breeds and the dog I would never have anything to do with was the Irish Setter, never saw an even part way good one in the field. Then I discovered the Red Setter, WOW!. They are registered with Af as Irish Setter's, maybe why I never knew there was a difference! Their strong point is they are pretty much just shooting dog's and hunting dog's! Really nice hunting with them, never spend much time looking for them. Normally out about 300 yds but now and then double that but back in pretty quick.

If your interested there's a National Club for them. National Red Setter Field Trial Club, NRSFTC. Also on Facebook!

Reactions: THelms

mosquito

Nov 1, 2012
NE ohio
Pretty dogs. If I lived where we had a lot of birds I would 100% have a pointing dog.
Birds in ohio have been pretty much decimated. Southern ohio has some grouse but very few wild bids in northern ohio . Im pretty sure i would have a kennel operation with lots of dogs . We had a Irish setter as a kid , my first dog i had as an adult was a brittany. The state releases pheasants here but its not the same . Beautiful dogs

Don Fischer

Jul 20, 2020
Not finding many birds around here anymore either but have to have my dog's. Ordered a bunch of chukar this year. Supposed to be here June 5th. not a word from them!

mosquito

Nov 1, 2012
NE ohio
Not finding many birds around here anymore either but have to have my dog's. Ordered a bunch of chukar this year. Supposed to be here June 5th. not a word from them!
I used to have a quail recall pen which was really cool . There still some rebalance of it back in my woods on the field edge. Had a remote bird launcher too. Your bringing back some good memories. I was at a bird dog trial one time and there was a Irish setter with white spots . They said many moons ago the breed that out of them . Im not sure if thats true or not but that was a beautiful dog also . red with big white spots

Don Fischer

Jul 20, 2020
Seem's to me I'd read somewhere that the original Irish Setter was red and white. Today there are some people around that breed Red and White Setter's. Saw some on the internet they might be registered with AKC, I don't know. Nice looking dog's too!

Reactions: mosquito

THelms

Administrator
Staff member
I knew nothing about this breed till I went and judged an Irish field trial years ago, Amer Fld trial. Wasn't thinking I'd see much but the first dog I saw later became my Stormy's dad. Second Red I saw blew the entire field away with the best run I've ever seen in any format, she became Stormy's mom.

Did some reading up and seem's that in the early 1950's a group of irish Setter people got tired of what was happening to the breed as a hunting dog. They got together and found the best female they could find and crossed it with a son of 1946 Nat Ch Mississippi Zev. The rest is history! Down the road with the records they kept Amer Fld and AKC accepted them as Irish Setter's but you look at a show Irish next to one of these and it become's immediately obvious they have little in common. My Stormy is 48# at six yrs and has never had a haircut except with scissors and them just a trim. Weighed Sis a while back and on the vet scale she's 40#. She's never had even a trim.

This was interesting to me as at one time I though I knew all the sporting breeds and the dog I would never have anything to do with was the Irish Setter, never saw an even part way good one in the field. Then I discovered the Red Setter, WOW!. They are registered with Af as Irish Setter's, maybe why I never knew there was a difference! Their strong point is they are pretty much just shooting dog's and hunting dog's! Really nice hunting with them, never spend much time looking for them. Normally out about 300 yds but now and then double that but back in pretty quick.

If your interested there's a National Club for them. National Red Setter Field Trial Club, NRSFTC. Also on Facebook!
Thanks for the solid intel!