Red Desert Elk Wyoming

nylogger

Mar 19, 2011
I was lucky to draw this tag and would like to connect with anyone that has info. on unit 100. I have hunted antelope in the 92 part of the unit a couple of seasons. Last time we hunted antelope the energy exploration was just getting started. Was wondering how that has impacted the unit. We were always amazed at the amount of elk we saw. Have never killed an elk with a bow so that's the direction right now. I'm hearing the rifle hunt can be a little extreme so would like to avoid it if possible. thanks

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
It's been years but saw some very big bulls along Jack Morrow Creek in the tall sagebrush. Call the biologist in Rock Springs. Steamboat is always hunted hard.

highplainsdrifter

Very Active Member
May 4, 2011
Wyoming
My wife and I have hunted Unit 100 a half dozens times (always for cows).

Don't over look the area around Freighter's Gap. Also, the area near the power plant is good due to reclaimed mining land. The elk like the new growth, and there is water there.

It is a lot like antelope hunting due to wide open sage brush terrain.

Triple BB

Jun 22, 2013
Wyoming
My dad drew that tag twice in three years. We consistently got into elk in the tall sage around Steamboat. Tagged nice 6pts both times....

Jan 7, 2013
central Kentucky
I hunted a cow elk there in 2014 towards the end of rifle season. They were skittish at the time and if I ever went back I would hunt as early as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk