Rattlesnakes

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
I consider snakes and opossums to be ideal pets of the devil. :geek:
I like to think of myself not "brave" so much as just willing to take fear as a part of life, something to deal with and slog through. That was until the day I opened my trash can lid and a huge possum was sitting right on top. When that thing turned and hissed at me, mouth open wide, I have never yelled so loud or run so fast. I would honestly rather be chased by a bear.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I killed a copperhead on my property a few weeks ago.

It was just a little one, maybe 10" long. But they are just as dangerous as the big ones.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I used to hunt them quite a bit back in the day. Always found it to be good exercise.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I used to hunt them but they didn't survive when I found them. I know they play their part in the ecosystem but I would much prefer a gob of bull snakes crawling around than 1 rattlesnake! They both do a nice job controlling rodents and the later won't ruin your day.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Agreed. However, where I hunted them it was illegal to kill them unless you had a permit and they were males. (Hence the clear plastic tube)

Reactions: 87TT

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
A number of years ago down in Arizona hunting javelina I was tracking one and came upon this.

Over the years we have hiked back into that canyon calling it the snake draw and always have fun meeting new friends

So far we haven't shot any out of this den site and have taken a number of others into it. It is quite unique seeing them like this.

dirtclod Az.

Veteran member
Jan 26, 2018
Arizona
A number of years ago down in Arizona hunting javelina I was tracking one and came upon this.

Over the years we have hiked back into that canyon calling it the snake draw and always have fun meeting new friends

So far we haven't shot any out of this den site and have taken a number of others into it. It is quite unique seeing them like this.
I've never seen more than one in any given place.
A den full would be cool!〽💥

Jun 29, 2016
Coastal Maine
I think rattlesnakes are pretty cool but i’m glad we don’have them in Maine. I’d like to have a rifle sling made from one. Sometime when I go out west I’d like to go on a snake hunt with someone who knows where they are.No way am I going after them myself.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I think rattlesnakes are pretty cool but i’m glad we don’have them in Maine. I’d like to have a rifle sling made from one. Sometime when I go out west I’d like to go on a snake hunt with someone who knows where they are.No way am I going after them myself.
For a real nice big one you need to head down south and get a Eastern Diamondback. They are quite a bit larger than the Western Diamondback and are a lot prettier to me..

Reactions: maine canoe guide