Rattlesnakes near Buffalo?

GOSHENGRUNTER

Jan 8, 2014
Clermont County Ohio
Headed out for a scouting trip next week to unit 20 & 22. Any issues with rattle snakes there? They dont bother me much but I'll have my wife and 2 year old so I want to be prepared. Gonna go into the mountains one day but will mostly be in the foothills and prarie.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Againstthewind

Very Active Member
Mar 25, 2014
Upton, WY
Headed out for a scouting trip next week to unit 20 & 22. Any issues with rattle snakes there? They dont bother me much but I'll have my wife and 2 year old so I want to be prepared. Gonna go into the mountains one day but will mostly be in the foothills and prarie.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
I haven't seen any in Buffalo itself, but there are quite a few all around Gillette, only an hour away, maybe they don't get very far up the mountain because it stays cool, but lower I would be prepared for them.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
According to this distribution map,PrairieRattleSnake_Map.jpg, they are there. From my experience, sightings are pretty rare, even when you are in the heart of their range.

lostriverproductions

Dec 27, 2011
Goshen IN
In my 7 years of hunting WY I have yet to see any, but I haven't looked for them either. I would just be aware while walking around, I have read they will probably be hiding in sage bushes.

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
That map is not accurate, we find them all the time in Albany Co.

They are not everywhere and act much different than any western or eastern diamond backs we deal with.
They are not aggressive snakes, but will not buzz every time you get close.

Cool days they sun on the rocks or a warm spot if they are out. Hot days I would be on the lookout in areas where they might find food.
They average about 3 ft in length but can get much longer, striking distance is shorter than the longer diamondbacks. Just be aware , if we get a cold front they will not be very active, that being said we found on Oct. 15, 2 years ago while deer hunting.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
That map is not accurate, we find them all the time in Albany Co.

They are not everywhere and act much different than any western or eastern diamond backs we deal with.
They are not aggressive snakes, but will not buzz every time you get close.

Cool days they sun on the rocks or a warm spot if they are out. Hot days I would be on the lookout in areas where they might find food.
They average about 3 ft in length but can get much longer, striking distance is shorter than the longer diamondbacks. Just be aware , if we get a cold front they will not be very active, that being said we found on Oct. 15, 2 years ago while deer hunting.
I grew up in Laramie and never saw any close to there? Where are you running into them at?

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
Sybille Canyon area, not everywhere but plenty around. Farthest west would be right at Morton Pass for a personal sighting. Have seen many in Johnson Creek area and all along 34. None down on the Laramie valley side. Got this guy out of 34 right near Morton Pass.
In all fairness we see most in the county line area near CR 12. The map is not far off.

1382214_658074557549663_1592414088_n (800x600).jpg

Againstthewind

Very Active Member
Mar 25, 2014
Upton, WY
Good to know- thanks.
I didn't see any in college in Laramie either, but the other side in Saratoga I about stepped on one that didn't bother to rattle until I did the old Fred Flinstone and ran away without touching the ground. There may have been a little girl scream involved, but I am not admiting that one.

Flyforfun

Jan 23, 2017
Just got back from scouting unit 22 this weekend. Was expecting to see one or 2 but not a one. Definitely kept one eye looking for them since I had my 6 year old with. Cactus was a bigger concern from what I saw. Shoot me a message if you want to compare notes on 22. I'll gladly share what I found or didn't find.

GOSHENGRUNTER

Jan 8, 2014
Clermont County Ohio
Just got back from scouting unit 22 this weekend. Was expecting to see one or 2 but not a one. Definitely kept one eye looking for them since I had my 6 year old with. Cactus was a bigger concern from what I saw. Shoot me a message if you want to compare notes on 22. I'll gladly share what I found or didn't find.
will do! I have a couple doe tags for 22!

Mnbogboy

Aug 19, 2018
Hibbing, MN
I know this is an old post but would like to share my experience.
I'm pretty new here, wish I would have joined a year ago.
Sitting here I look at the scar of 2 small fangs of a "baby" rattler! 2 years ago in A22 while scouting the day before season. Moved some rotten pieces of a downed cottonwood tree to make a place to sit. Felt a slight pain at the outer base of my right thumb. Jerked my hand up out of the sage. I did see a small snake slither off but thought nothing of it. Thinking I scratched myself because I was bleeding pretty good, I naturally sucked the dripping blood off my thumb and spit. Walking back to camp in the heat the bleeding stopped and only then did I notice how the skin was torn in two places like it had been hooked with two barbs of a treble hook!
My thoughts, "damn snake".
No swelling or much discomfort maybe like a bee sting.
Woke up before daylight took off walking and shot a 12" pronghorn just after lunch. Headed back to the same spot next week!!

Mnbogboy

Aug 19, 2018
Hibbing, MN
We have seen only 4 or 5 in 11 years of hunting in WY. My guess is once the weather cools down they become less & less active. Only one other one seamed aggressive and that's because he was kind of cornered between my son and I. The little guy that bit me was probably surprised also.
Bad part is my ears are not as good as they used to be.