Rain jacket

Muley bound

Mar 12, 2013
Wisconsin
What’s everybody runnin for their rain jacket? I’m going to upgrade my old wore out cheap one. They’re all expensive, so if I’ve spending the money, I want it to be durable. I have the Kuiu axis which is very good at repelling water and snow. Wore it multiple times in complete crap snow and mix cold temps and preforms great, but don’t think it’ll cut it in an all day rain? Plus it’s too warm for earlier hunts.

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
I use a poncho/tarp combo. Amazon links are still broken here so if you want to search for what I got, it's the "Anyoo Waterproof Rain Poncho" for $24.99.

Best $25 I've spent on hunting gear, I'm sure. It weighs less than 10oz, packs small, and is fast to get on and off. I like ponchos because where I hunt in Colorado rainstorms come and go fast. I can throw a poncho on without taking my pack off, and I like that. Since it has corner grommets it's also easy to string up to ride out a hailstorm - I've done that with my son so we don't all need to put on rain gear.

Last year they had these in all kinds of colors, and I got a few in multicam. I don't see those listed anymore, unfortunately. That gave me a third advantage - I was able to use it to make an impromptu blind last elk season. I used it to better hide my tripod and rifle while staking out a meadow.

Finally, I use it as a ground tarp while quartering out elk. It keeps dirt off your meat bags before you hang them, and saves packing an extra plastic sheet or whatever in your kill kit. Cleans up easily too.

This probably isn't answering your question if you really want a rain jacket, but I'm mentioning it here because it's so darned useful...

Muley bound

Mar 12, 2013
Wisconsin
I use a poncho/tarp combo. Amazon links are still broken here so if you want to search for what I got, it's the "Anyoo Waterproof Rain Poncho" for $24.99.

Best $25 I've spent on hunting gear, I'm sure. It weighs less than 10oz, packs small, and is fast to get on and off. I like ponchos because where I hunt in Colorado rainstorms come and go fast. I can throw a poncho on without taking my pack off, and I like that. Since it has corner grommets it's also easy to string up to ride out a hailstorm - I've done that with my son so we don't all need to put on rain gear.

Last year they had these in all kinds of colors, and I got a few in multicam. I don't see those listed anymore, unfortunately. That gave me a third advantage - I was able to use it to make an impromptu blind last elk season. I used it to better hide my tripod and rifle while staking out a meadow.

Finally, I use it as a ground tarp while quartering out elk. It keeps dirt off your meat bags before you hang them, and saves packing an extra plastic sheet or whatever in your kill kit. Cleans up easily too.

This probably isn't answering your question if you really want a rain jacket, but I'm mentioning it here because it's so darned useful...
Just looked it up. Hell, even if you have a rain jacket, that would be nice to have with you!!!

Reactions: ScottR

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
The Amazon links work for me

I have a set of rain gear that I got from Cabela's 10 years ago. I got it just before I headed up to British Colombia on a bear hunt and almost lived in it for the whole 10 days. Since then I have wore it a few times down in Arizona for spring hunts and of course whenever I get caught in a storm on my ATV. It packs away in a nice pouch, one for the top and one for the bottom. I also have a set of cold weather gear from Cabela's that you would stay warm and dry in if the temperatures were below zero.

A sad thing is that neither of the above are available anymore since Bass Pro took over and replaced quality merchandise with junk Red Head stuff.

The problem is that you need to find what is going to work for you. As you mentioned one thing may be too warm where the next item might not provide enough warmth if needed

Muley bound

Mar 12, 2013
Wisconsin
The Amazon links work for me

I have a set of rain gear that I got from Cabela's 10 years ago. I got it just before I headed up to British Colombia on a bear hunt and almost lived in it for the whole 10 days. Since then I have wore it a few times down in Arizona for spring hunts and of course whenever I get caught in a storm on my ATV. It packs away in a nice pouch, one for the top and one for the bottom. I also have a set of cold weather gear from Cabela's that you would stay warm and dry in if the temperatures were below zero.

A sad thing is that neither of the above are available anymore since Bass Pro took over and replaced quality merchandise with junk Red Head stuff.

The problem is that you need to find what is going to work for you. As you mentioned one thing may be too warm where the next item might not provide enough warmth if needed
It’s too bad, ever since Cabelas and Bass Blow merged, I feel everything has been down hill!

Turbodude

Oct 17, 2017
Red side of Ca
I. Know this may not apply to this topic, but the Sitka Delta wader kicks ass. Been a duck for 30 plus years. Had Columbia’s & Brownings etc. Sitkas cost more, but worth it.

jimss

Jun 10, 2012
If you want the best breathable go with Kuiu or Sitka. On that I’ve had great results that’s on $50 each is marmot precious from Sierra trading. Make sure your jackets have pitzips so they breath. Jelly Henson are great for camp or boat when not active

kayenjeff

Jan 21, 2022
I would like to know more about ranboo jackets. In addition, I would like to know if ranboo jackets official products are suitable for wearing at the moment.

Muley bound

Mar 12, 2013
Wisconsin
I ended up going with Kryptek rain jacket from the Altitude series. Got it for a great price. Fit and feel are great, but haven’t had a chance to use it in a downpour though

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
that amazon anyhoo looks good.

I was looking for a rain jacket and maybe pants....I have some older goretex browning stuff....but feel in a soaking downpour it may fail....

looked at some popular camo raingear online....$350/700 for the jacket/combo!? that's just pretty crazy to me.... seems like everything these days is 300-700 per item for hunting....

my $5-10 rain jack from costco is looking more amazing by the minute....

following this thread if any affordable camo hunting raingear gets mentioned....

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Check out Bass Pro for a set of rain gear for boats. It is cheaper than most and will work. Just don't expect it to last if you are hiking through brush. You may even have to spray it down a few times with some silicone waterproofing to keep it viable.

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
Funny that Jim mentions the cheap BPS/Cabelas stuff. I just bought 2 XXL and 1 Med for my boat. They are coated nylon, seem decent enough. Carry em in the boat for use as windbreakers and rain coats.

For hunting I bought a $60 camo packable, breathable rain jacket from BPS - need to dump another $60 on the pants, just lazy cause hunt season is 6 months away.