Rabbit wild version farm raised

Eastfork

Feb 14, 2016
At the Portland expo I had some farm raised rabbit. It was very good, I have never had rabbit before. For those that eat rabbit, is wild just as good? We have a large rabbit population near home . Are they worth hunting ??
Thanks

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
Never seen a Jazelk before,are they common in Idaho?
OTC or draw tags?Jackalope are open season in Az.:cool:

extremely rare!
only 7 breeding pairs known to exist!

but that's up from 5 only two years ago, so .. kudos to the F&G .

Idaho is a luck of the draw state but when it comes to the rare ,elusive, jazelk, you need about 79 points to have any real hope of drawing and it is a once in ten lifetimes deal.

on the bright side , once drawn cost of tag is merely your firstborn child!

season is also only two days, so I would advise early scouting!!!

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
have actually never eaten a jackrabbit though they are every where here . was practically raised on cottontail though .

not bad , little tough and pretty easy to over cook it , when frying . after shredding in crockpot it makes a decent "tuna (rabbit) salad " though.

Joseph

Jan 25, 2014
Creston BC Canada
We only have the Snowshoe Hare where I live. They make excellent table fare if properly cooked, like most wild game they are very lean and easy to overcook. I hunt them all winter, I don't kill very many in a year but it's a great excuse to strap on the snowshoes and go for a hike. I also scout, watch deer, elk and moose on their winter range and try to thin the coyote population at the same time. I use a 17hmr so the hares have to be head shots and the coyotes have to be close. I get out at least once every weekend for a few hours, the snow conditions are perfect right now for snowshoeing.

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
I've only ever eaten one wild rabbit (that wasn't in some restaurant stuffed into an overly-spiced sausage or overly-sauced stew, masking the flavor) but we did raise a few meat rabbits as an experiment and they tasted about the same to me. It's a really good meat, in my opinion, and if you don't want eggs they're even better than chickens for raising at home.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Wild rabbit is great but is typically a little tougher than farm raised. I like to slow cook my wild rabbit in cream of mushroom soup until the meat falls off the bone. Serve it over rice or noodles. Good hearty meal for a cold winter day!

Terin Rabbit.jpg
We just had a some fresh rabbit Saturday. It's fun to get the kids out chasing bunnies... beats letting them sit around playing on electronics!

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I grew up on rabbit...literally, I probably ate it once a week.

Never forget the day my dad told my then 12 year old sister what she had been eating for years wasn't chicken. lol

dirtclod Az.

Veteran member
Jan 26, 2018
Arizona
Had 12 wild rabbits on our land last summer,Feral cats got at them and left
the remains in our boat!Feral cats died of lead poisoning!Just saw 2 baby bunnies...YEAH!:cool: