Private land for older/Mobility Impaired?

Ca_Vermonster

Apr 1, 2016
Hey everyone, recently talking to my Dad and hes brought up wanting to try an elk hunt sometime. I think he's half joking, given that he's 76, has mobility issues, etc, but I also thought maybe there are private land places that are guaranteed tags and cater to that kind of client.

So, does anyone have any ideas of places that do that? I'm thinking like places with blind on agricultural fields during late season, where it's a short walk to the blind. I don't want a high fenced hunt anywhere, just a more controlled private land hunt in the middle of elk country. He's from Vermont, and gearing up for another Whitetail season, so he's still raring to go.

Anyway, just looking for ideas, and maybe get him somewhere out there next year. Thanks!

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Hi Mr Vermonster, long time no see. Hope all is going well down in sunny California unless you moved.

Would your dad like a cow or a bull? I know at one time Garvey Brothers out of Nucla, Colorado were able to get private land cow tags and even perhaps bull tags. You might try contacting them and see what they can do. Right now they are in the middle of elk hunting seasons here in Colorado so a response from them may take a while.

Ca_Vermonster

Apr 1, 2016
Hey, good to hear from you too. Still in CA, still doing well. Thanks for the advice, I'll look into that.

Hi Mr Vermonster, long time no see. Hope all is going well down in sunny California unless you moved.

Would your dad like a cow or a bull? I know at one time Garvey Brothers out of Nucla, Colorado were able to get private land cow tags and even perhaps bull tags. You might try contacting them and see what they can do. Right now they are in the middle of elk hunting seasons here in Colorado so a response from them may take a while.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
A lot of the western states have private landowner tags and the landowners sell them, no need to go in a draw. JimP is spot on with Garvey Bros.
I was born and lived in soCal until I retired in 2000 and moved to SW Colorado. My Dad hunted with me and took his last elk when he was 90. It is possible for you to find an outfitter who can do it for you, but will probably take a lot of research. If you are interested in SW Colorado, I know a few and will ask them, just send me a PM. As Jim said, we are right in the middle of hunting season and they are really busy.

Last edited: