Prime Bows/Other New Bows

bowrunner

Oct 13, 2015
Illinois
I shot the Prime Centergy over the weekend... I have had a Mathews Drenalin since 2007, and have been trying recently to find a bow that was as smooth as my old Drenalin. I bought a Mathews NO-CAM htr used a year ago and shot it for a while, but still liked my Drenalin better so I sold it. I am very slow to make decisions so I jump around and try a lot of bows.

I have test shot the Hoyt Defiant, Mathews Halon 32, Bowtech Reign 7, Elite Energy 35, Prime Centergy, and a PSE and a Bear but I cant remember the model.

I really liked the Prime. I thought it was a great shooting bow. Smooth draw, very balanced, quiet, minimal vibration, comfortable at full draw. I might wait until the 2018 bows come out to try and get the Centergy a little cheaper, but I think I am leaning that direction.

Any experience out there with Prime bows?

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
The smooth draw is the big feature. However, I think I remember them being a little more on the heavier side.

bowrunner

Oct 13, 2015
Illinois
you mean harder to pull back than another bow at the same weight, or the top end weight is above its rating of 70# for example?

bowrunner

Oct 13, 2015
Illinois
Yes, I would agree. I don't mind a little extra weight, but comparing them they are not light bows. Good point.

Mikey C

Nov 4, 2014
Michigan
Mass weight of all the bows, right off their spec sheets. If you were to balance each of these bows out with stabilizer weights, you will easily be adding more weight to all others. The Centergy has the Center Grip Technology that puts more weight below the hand rather than above the hand, so there isnt nearly as much that needs to be done to compensate for it (with weight/stabilizers)

Shoot em' all and shoot what feels the best for you!

Centergy - 4.3#
Centergy Hybrid (35" ATA) - 4.5#
Defiant - 4.0#
Halon 32 - 4.83/4.73# depending on the model (5/6/7" brace height)
Bowtech - 4.3#

tdub24

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2011
Carlin, NV

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
I haven't bow hunted in recent years. For what it's worth I read an Outdoor life at the docs office today and they rated the new Mathews and Bow Tech highest. Bow Tech won by a slight margin. If I remember right they liked the Prime but it wasn't much changed from the previous year, solid bow but not quite with the others.

Anyway that's all I know.

bowrunner

Oct 13, 2015
Illinois
It all comes down to personal preference for sure. I was blown away after shooting the prime centergy, so whenever I decide the time is right, I think I might pick one up. Maybe wait for a used one. I cant say anything bad about the other bows, because the things that I see as negatives others might see as positives. I just really enjoy a smooth, easy draw, and I did not feel that with the Mathews.