Preliminary reports aren't good...

mntnguide

Very Active Member
Preliminary reports of the brutal winter effects on the mule deer in western Wyoming are starting to unfortunately come to truth like I have been expecting. I only think it will get worse the more we see the results. People who think older bucks are the ones who survive seem to forget that the healthiest mature bucks are Rutting hard right before winter sets in, they are the first to go due to heavily depleted body fat. The fawn survival is terrible everywhere I've seen and these results show that in entirety. This winter will change the hunting for many years to come in these regions unfortunately.

http://us10.campaign-archive1.com/?u=db8d31cc329c2df47b7343cb8&id=a4fad9359b

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Saw this earlier today but couldn't figure out how to post it- very sad for sure. 99% fawn mortality this year will really hurt the population for some time.

highplainsdrifter

Very Active Member
May 4, 2011
Wyoming
Preliminary reports of the brutal winter effects on the mule deer in western Wyoming are starting to unfortunately come to truth like I have been expecting. I only think it will get worse the more we see the results. People who think older bucks are the ones who survive seem to forget that the healthiest mature bucks are Rutting hard right before winter sets in, they are the first to go due to heavily depleted body fat. The fawn survival is terrible everywhere I've seen and these results show that in entirety. This winter will change the hunting for many years to come in these regions unfortunately.

http://us10.campaign-archive1.com/?u=db8d31cc329c2df47b7343cb8&id=a4fad9359b
Fortunately the eastern half of the state wasn't hit nearly as hard.

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
IMG_20170310_074754.jpg this was a common site while walking to diff fishing holes on the river where lots of wintering takes place. Counted over ten in just a 2 mile walk

Wyoming Hart

Very Active Member
Oct 10, 2014
Spring Run, PA
I really hate to see that they make it that far and then we get a winter like that and lose them. I always hate to see it around here when deer make it through hunting season and winter, only to get hit on the roadway come spring time.

bghunter

Jun 23, 2015
Granite Bay, CA
I didnt see any report on dead wolves, mostlikely this hard winter was feast for them, a lot of easy prey. I wish it is the other way around, wolves dead and deer alive.

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
So far eastern half is doing great. I know some deer areas they are extending season due to too many bucks. Looks like a great year to hunt eastern Wyoming for mule deer if you have access.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
So far eastern half is doing great. I know some deer areas they are extending season due to too many bucks. Looks like a great year to hunt eastern Wyoming for mule deer if you have access.
Agree- It's nothing like the Western part of the state. Let's hope the winter finishes mild. Today's snowtel numbers for depth and precipitation are looking way better than a month ago.