Portable shooting benches

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
What everyone use for a shooting bench? Too many gunsels at the range here and prefer to be more mobile.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I'm high tech.

I use my Colman stove stand and a piece of carpeted particle board that's about 2'x3" on top of it. Then just a folding chair to sit on. It works surprising well.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I have a 2' x 4' folding table that I use. I set it up in the bed of my truck and use a folding camping chair. I like this method because it gets you above ground level and brush and other things that could be obstructions. I gives you more shooting area possibilities.

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
I had a particle board table disintegrate on me and left with a rectangular frame w legs. Cut a piece of plywood into a shooting bench shape and put em together. Works great. No pics - sorry.

It is a little heavy cause used 3/4 inch ply and the frame is metal, but solid.

Jim has it right - my BIL is gun challenged at times and shot his car with a .22 once while messing with a scope...

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I was actually going to build one once out of 3/4" plywood that had slots cut into the boards where it would fit together and then once weight was placed on it it would become solid. I got the idea after seeing on the Cabela's was selling for a couple hundred dollars but theirs bolted together. Then I came upon my Colman stove stand and the piece of board that was actually a shelf out of my safe when I purchased it. It actually works quite well.

I have also set it up into the back of my truck like CC does but then I am getting physically challenged in getting my body up and into the bed without a ladder. So I just go to a spot south of my home where I can get a straight shot at up to 200 yards with no brush, just a little bit of grass, that is unless the cattle have eaten it.

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Those ladders are nice but when I look at the price of those new trucks I go home and pat my 24 year old paid for truck on the dash and tell it that it is going to have to make it a few more years.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
My 1999 had over 300,000 miles on it and we were planning a trip to Alaska and I wanted something newer with less miles on it. Bought a used 2014 F350 in 2016 and it had the tailgate ladder on it. Probably never by another truck unless something happens like a wreck or someone steals it!

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I have done all sorts of things...one that worked fairly well was ratchet strapping a small portable table down to the truck bed. Sand bags were already in the back and those worked well against the legs. Put the shooting bags on top and it was golden. The only time this didn't work was when the wind really picked up and got the truck rock and rolling.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I know some folks that used the hood of their truck, that is until they shot a hole through the opposite side fender and hood.
had a friend do that to his truck once. he was a good guy but a bit of a moron.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
If you plan on making a DIY one from wood, you may want to add up the cost. Building materials are at all time highs. Might be cheaper just to buy one. My BIL just paid $38 for 7/16 OSB. We are in the final stretch of the cabin build and he wanted to be done with the kitchen. Ridiculous.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
If you plan on making a DIY one from wood, you may want to add up the cost. Building materials are at all time highs. Might be cheaper just to buy one. My BIL just paid $38 for 7/16 OSB. We are in the final stretch of the cabin build and he wanted to be done with the kitchen. Ridiculous.
My nephew and his wife are working on doing a addition to their home. The builder approached them and said that the price needs to be adjusted by $60,000 due to the price of lumber. They had already signed the contract but they negotiated it some where the builder didn't take it all in his shorts.

I had to have a custom cabinet made for my kitchen to finish off a project. I about passed out when they showed me the price of it. But I got to have it so I paid it. Now I just need to figure out what I am going to do for a counter top for it. I do have some old 1x6 lumber out in the garage that might have to do for a year or so.

ithunter

Aug 20, 2014
Southern Indiana
I know some folks that used the hood of their truck, that is until they shot a hole through the opposite side fender and hood.
I know a guy that shattered his windshield...

Lumber prices are a mess all over...there was a time here in the midwest the big box stores didnt have treated lumber...at all. Now most shops have price adjusted in stock items.

We've been using a 4' lifetime folding table and bag chairs to be mobile.

Reactions: 257Roberts

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
My nephew and his wife are working on doing a addition to their home. The builder approached them and said that the price needs to be adjusted by $60,000 due to the price of lumber. They had already signed the contract but they negotiated it some where the builder didn't take it all in his shorts.

I had to have a custom cabinet made for my kitchen to finish off a project. I about passed out when they showed me the price of it. But I got to have it so I paid it. Now I just need to figure out what I am going to do for a counter top for it. I do have some old 1x6 lumber out in the garage that might have to do for a year or so.
We used advantech (OSB flooring) for our temporary countertops. We are going to make concrete countertops eventually; probably next spring. We are just putting the finishing touches on the place for the start of hunting season.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
MDF is still a decent price and I just might go with it. I may even go pick some up before it goes up in price.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I got a 4X4 bench build that holds a led sled, which is unlashed down at this point because I cracked a stock sighting in the muzzleloader with it being lashed to the bench with ratchet straps...

Lyman auto advance target system is on the menu for this Christmas. I am sick of walking down to change targets. I am trying to figure out a way to build the whole thing to hide behind 4 railroad ties and only exposing the paper for when I do something stupid....

It will have a roof as well.