Poison Oak Problem

bghunter

Jun 23, 2015
Granite Bay, CA
My friend is kind of new hunter, I took him big game hunting two years ago and he got hooked but his body has really bad reaction on poison oak, he needs to go to hospital every time he touches it. Any advise how to avoid it and threat it once he get it, any pills, cream, or vaccine against it? We tried some creams but it doent really work.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
It is best to just avoid it. He should know what it looks like when it is growing and dormant if he has that much of a problem with it.

He should talk to a doctor if he has that much of a problem with it. The doctor might prescribe something that will help if he comes into contact with it.

Billybob

Feb 12, 2018
I have a pretty bad reaction also. I carry the technu now, but knock on wood I haven’t used that. On my bad reaction I had to do the calamine lotion, hot showers, and Benadryl routine for a solid week I think. I also had to get an anti inflammatory shot for the swelling. I am not aware of vaccines or anything like that. As for avoiding, here it is only along a few creek bottoms that I am extra careful on. I also always wear long sleeves and pants, then I just have to watch my hands mostly.

Alabama

Veteran member
Feb 18, 2013
Sweet Home Alabama
I am really allergic too, but I've made myself very aware of what it looks like: growing and dormant. It is best to avoid it at all costs if you're allergic, but it will still sometimes get you. Poison oak, ivy, and sumac all contain urushiol oil that will make you break out. Make sure he knows all 3 if they are prevalent in your area. The oil is way more concentrated in the vines or stems than the leaves.

I have a friend that was in the infantry and the sergeants made them use spray on antiperspirants. It must be the antiperspirant with aluminum chlorohydrate. It works well but it must be applied prior to exposure to prevent it. It can be used to help clear it up too but it's not as effective. I've used all kinds of creams and they are not very effective. Steroids shots and/or steroid pills from the DR are what helps the most.

If he gets into it the best thing to do is take a bath or thoroughly wash the area and wash the clothes that are contaminated with the oil. If you wash it off within 30 minutes there will be virtually no symptoms and they will be mild if you can do it within 2 hrs.

sheephunter

Jan 29, 2012
Colorado
I can only speak to poison ivy, as I never got poison oak, but I always got poison ivy bad when I was a kid. Then once I got it in my early 20's and went to a doctor and got a shot ( I think it was just a cortisone shot) which helped clear it up, but I never got it as bad as I did before then. This is all just anecdotal, and what worked for me; but I'd say it might be worth it for your buddy to see an allergist or dermatologist for it. It's a really crummy reason to not be able to enjoy the outdoors.

rjroberts15

Jun 8, 2016
CA
I used to get it all the time cutting wood. I would take clothes off and put them straight in the washer. Then a scrub down with plain old dish soap in a cold shower.

Best way to not get it, is to avoid it like the plague.

There is a soap that's made out of mugwart that works pretty good.

Once you get it, go get the shot. That's the only thing that works very well.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
Where I live in Oregon it is full of poison oak. I regularly am in contact with it when working on our place. One of the best things I learned is how to break down the oils. Wash up with Dawn dishwashing soap and use a wash cloth. The friction of the wash cloth mixes the soap into the oil (urushiol). It works very well. Here is the video I got that tip from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oyoDRHpQK0

Matthoek21

Veteran member
Mar 18, 2011
Peachtree City, GA.
Why not try the stuff Eastmans use to always advertise from tec-nu. They have a wash and a treatment for after you have it. I use the wash after I know or think I've came in contact with poison oak, ivy, or sumac. Since I've used this stuff I have never gotten poison anything. One of my kids also gets poison ivy real bad and ever since I've made him use tec-nu he also has not gotten it, even after using poison ivy strands to build a fort the other day in the woods.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
True story...

I got it bad while crow hunting in a fencerow about 10 years ago. It looked like someone took a blowtorch to my hips and lower back.

Then the real problems began....

It started closing in on the up front goods ....quickly...

In a nervous panic I went to the doctors office.

This cute little blonde chick came in and said "what seems to be the problem?"

In a nervous haste (Assuming she was the doctor) I panicked I dropped everything, and I mean everything, right to the ground....

There I stood showing all....

I said " This is the problem..."

She looked me right in the eyes and said "Let me go get the doctor...."

I have NEVER been so embarrassed in my life. And that says a lot if you actually knew me...lol

They prescribed my anti-biotics and a steroid. I was better in 2 days and 100% better in 3.

Last edited:

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
That nurse is still probably still laughing about that to this day. I dated a nurse once and some of the stories that she would tell me were insane.

sheephunter

Jan 29, 2012
Colorado
That nurse is still probably still laughing about that to this day. I dated a nurse once and some of the stories that she would tell me were insane.
Hey I work in health care (I'm not a nurse but have a few nurse coworkers); we would never laugh at anybody for something like that. Never. Trust me ;>). OK, well maybe a little, but it's true, we see a lot of things. I think when we hear a story like that we try to realize we never know when one of us might be in that guy's shoes.

bghunter

Jun 23, 2015
Granite Bay, CA
Why not try the stuff Eastmans use to always advertise from tec-nu. They have a wash and a treatment for after you have it. I use the wash after I know or think I've came in contact with poison oak, ivy, or sumac. Since I've used this stuff I have never gotten poison anything. One of my kids also gets poison ivy real bad and ever since I've made him use tec-nu he also has not gotten it, even after using poison ivy strands to build a fort the other day in the woods.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
We tried their cream and wet wipes but it seems like it wasnt working. I think washing it with dish detergent or some kind of special soap should be first thing to do.